Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest started a topic I'm 15 and want to move out

I'm 15 and want to move out

Hi, I'm a 15 year old male and I seriously want to move out. I am constantly verbally abused by my parents for being too "feminine". Also, they are extremely homophobic and religious. Is there anyway that I can move out and live with a friend or rent out my own apartment?

• ccsmod9
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parent’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    hi i'm 15 and a girl...my parents are some what chill but also just not..like somethings i can't joke about or else they just yell at me and it's to the point that i get so mad at myself that i wanna self harm but i don't..all i can do is just cry, i just want to run away and move somewhere and don't ever have to talk to them, just can't wait till i'm 18 so i don't have to deal with there bs anymore.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Thank you for telling us your story and reaching out. We hope to be able to help you out. We’re not legal experts here at NRS but if your parents kick you out the house this is considered neglect and something you can report to CPS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your guardians could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for having you stay there if your parents file a report. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your guardians how living at home makes you feel and why you want to leave. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you. If you want to reach us, you can chat with us anytime at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7, and we are ready to listen and help however we can.

Guest replied
    I'm really tryna dip outta my house cause it sucks. I have a friends parent who would GLADLY take me in, and have been told to leave by one of my guardians. Can I?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: Hi my name is lisbeiry

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We would like to be of assistance to you if we can. It is times like these that would be nice to have a listening ear. It is also important that you remember to exercise self- care. You showed some by reaching out to NRS. Good for you.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat so that we might learn a little more about your situation and how we might assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi my name is lisbeiry and I'm 15 and I really don't want to be home.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a rough spot recently having moved from your papa's and now you are being grounded, unable to go to school a lot, and having to always clean. That seems really hard to deal with, and here at NRS we truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time.

If you haven't already, you might try to ask either your mom or your Papa if you can move back in with him. If your mom is difficult to talk to, you might try to have your Papa talk to her for you. The easiest way you can leave is with your mom's permission.

Also, if you haven't already, you might try to tell a counselor at school about what is going on and how you can't get to school so often. They might be able to intervene in support of you making it to school regularly.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk through your situation or brainstorm additional options. We are also here just for support if you have a bad day and need to talk to someone, you can always cal. 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    i am a 15 year old female. i think that moving out of my parents house and into my papas house would be the best option for me. i have lived with my papa most of my life because my mom has been in and out of jail. i am living with her and her husband. we just recently moved out of my papas house into a house 30 minutes away from my family. i am constantly getting grounded for little things like saying i don’t want to do something. i’m almost truant at school because my parents don’t have the money for gas sometimes to take me to school. i feel like all they want me for is to clean. my mom works and she’s the one paying all the bills. my step dad stays home all day and then yells at me for not cleaning. i’m just so ready to leave.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 15 and I want to move out. I’m 15 and my boyfriend is also 15 I want to move in with him. My parents don’t approve of my boyfriend my parents are split up since I was born and my moms new husband beat me up in December and took me out of school and lied I was being enrolled into online home school. My parents are gypsy and we have rules that a girl my age should be married to another gypsy and be sold I don’t want this I want to live with my boyfriend and his family my dad always threatens to beat up my boyfriend what should I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share a bit about how you've been feeling. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 14 and want to move out but I don’t got money and I’m struggling making money like maybe 10 dollars every once n a while and I really want to continue to stream so plz tell me what I could do thx so much

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hi there thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. It takes a lot to strength share what has been going on and we appreciate your bravery and openness. It sounds like you had moved from an unsafe environment and now at your moms you are experiencing verbal abuse. It is not okay to be abused in any way including verbal abuse. If you feel unsafe or need emergency services, 911 is always an option just to keep in mind in case. You always still have the right to report what is going on at home with being verbally abused. This is also an option we can further discuss or if you want more information about what reporting looks like or what the outcomes can occur Child Help (1-800-422-4453/childhelp.org) is always a good resource to reach out to. They can help answer any questions you may have or help you through the reporting process if you want to do so. We are always here as well to help brainstorm ideas and plans, but we are confidential unless you share any identifying factors (like your name, address, mom’s name, etc.) because then we would have to pass along what we know to Child Protective Services if you talk about abuse. We are confidential now but if you want us to help you report, you can give us that info and we can report on your behalf. We are going to talk about a few options and you are always welcome reach out to us again by calling us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chatting with us at 1800runaway.org.
    From what you shared, it sounds like you want to move out from your mom’s house to your friend’s due to the verbal abuse going on at home. We aren’t legal experts but since you mentioned you are 15 if you try to move out, your mom may file a runaway report. This means since you are under the age of majority/adulthood in the US, which is usually 18, your mom may call the police and try to have them bring you back home. Running away isn’t illegal per say but something called a status offense, meaning its something you cant technically do due to your age as a minor, like breaking curfew. If you are found, the police would just bring you back home, but if you feel comfortable you have the right to tell the police that you feel abused at home and they may then contact CPS to report what is going on and investigate. We are always here to talk about brainstorming what you want to do as you mentioned you are unsure what you want to do and we can help you come up with a plan you feel most safe doing and back up plans. Your safety is always the priority and we can help discuss ideas on how to stay safe with whatever you choose to do.

We are her 24/7 and would love to hear back from you if you feel comfortable. We truly care about you and it sounds like you are in a difficult situation and we are always here to help as best we can. Stay safe and hope to hear from you soon.

Best, NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I'm 15 and I want to move out of my house. My dad used to beat me so I took him to court, now I live full time with my mom, and she is verbally abusive. I have a friend that said I can move in, but my mom has told me if I run away she will contact the cops. Idk what to do because if I try to move in with my friend she will just contact the cops, and they'll come pick me up at school.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X