I'm 15 and want to move out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a 15 year old lad, and I have had a bad time like most people on this site.
    I've been going through a tough time at home and get into alot of issues with my brother and "mother" after coming to the conclusion i want to go to a new school for a fresh start I've thought to myself, its be better for me and my "mother" if I go into care or find somewhere else I can live.
    I have done many runners so runaway helpline probably already knows me quite well but I am going to end up going missing completely if I dont get somewhere else to go because my family is to much. Today I phoned the police because we got into an altercation I hurt my brother and he nearly checked me out.
    I regret hurting him as it was out of anger but hes even said he doesn't regret it he ment it.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.
      Take care,
      NRS

i need 2 be somewhere else i am 15 and a female i wanna be with me biological mum. i hate me foster parents

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your guardian’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your guardians. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

I've been living a nightmare. My parents don't care about what i do to myself. I've hurt myself and they've just seemed embarrassed of me, they did not offer me help or anything, they didn't care. My parents are always yelling and freaking out on me, i try to be the kid they want but nothing is ever good enough for them. One time i spilled icecream in the freezer and my dad freaked out on me. My freinds see that my parents treat me like ******** too, i just really need to get out of this place beacuse my parents cause me stress and have given me anger issues that at this point i can't control anymore. I tried talking to them about it but my mom denied everything and was telling me that im the bad kid and if they would have had me first then they wouldn't have had my sister. They dont ever try help me they dont really care about me. i really need to move out i can handle the heart aching pain anymore. Please help me im 15 so im trying everything that would help me move out. I have no family members to live with because they dont have that much money to support me. My bestfriends parent's treat me so well, they act more like a real parent towards me. Please respond back i really need help as soon as possible please and thank you.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi and thanks for posting here. It sounds like things are really difficult at home and are taking quite a toll on you, given how your parents have been reacting to your pain and hurting yourself. We are glad you reached out!
      You mentioned hurting yourself. There is a website twloha.com that has resources, information and blog posts written by people who have been there. You can also always reach out to the National Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255, suicidepreventionlifeline.org for support 24/7 as well.
      NAMI also has a texting crisis line at 741-741 for additional support. We here at NRS care about your safety and our hotline (1-800-786-2929) and our live chat through this website are also open 24/7 so feel free to reach out anytime!

You mentioned your parents have been unsupportive of you and you do not have any other extended family. We are glad your friend's parents are helpful. We do offer conference calling with parents to make sure you feel heard and to advocate for you on the phone. You know your situation best, so if you think this will be helpful, feel free to call us anytime. Sometimes having an outsider can be helpful. Perhaps your friend's parents could help talk to yours too.

We also have many resources in our database for different services: shelters, counseling, community centers. If you are interested in more resources, feel free to call or live chat us and we can help you directly!

You have shown a lot of strength in reaching out today. Be safe and contact us again anytime!

Hi i’m a 15 year old male and for the past few years since we’ve moved i’ve been suffering with depression. I try my hardest to interact and show appreciation to my family but I can’t do it anymore. No matter what I do they can’t stand it. They said they are at the point where they can’t stand me and want me out. They say i’m faking my depression and they have been tearing my confidence down everyday to the point where I am exhausted everyday. I have no more energy and now they are telling me that i’m making myself sad. I’ve talked to them about possibly moving out with a family member or maybe even a friend but they won’t let me. I honestly think the only reason they keep me here is to clean and do their work. They say they want me out but won’t let me leave. I need to leave. I told them that when i’m 16 i’m leaving to go stay with a friend in California since it’s legal but they said they’re going to stop me. I have no freedom here. I have ten more months until i’m 16 and I don’t think I can last. I’ve been having suicidal thoughts for a while but I can’t bring it up because they always shut me down. Is there any loophole in this where I can legally leave and they can’t make me come back?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2014

Thank you for reaching out to us. We want you to know that we believe you and are here to listen and to help you. Your situation sounds very stressful, especially when they don’t believe you. It’s also really hard and confusing when they want you out, but won’t let you leave. You have been very brave – brave for reaching out and asking for help, and brave for surviving this, even if your situation is causing you to have suicidal thoughts. We want you to know that you matter to us and that your life matters to us.
      Unfortunately there isn’t a loophole involving the information you gave us, but each situation is unique and complex and if you can reach out to us, we can help you discover the options that you do have. You can also reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255

You can also talk to us about what you are feeling and going through. We hope that you can reach out either via our telephone hotline, 1-800-runaway (1-800-786-2929) or through our live chat though the website 1800runaway.org So that we can talk about what you are going through. We are here for you, to listen and help.

We wish you the best.
      Sincerely,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Well im 15 and my mom hates my guts. She is verbally and physically abusive to the point where she repeatedly says im gonna kill u and i hate you. She also hits me with anything including bars bamboo sticks and cords. It got to the point where her and her husband broke my right hand and left welps and bruises on my back and arms and legs. I didnt go to gym class for weeks fearing that someone would see. i feel horrible not being able to feel safe in my own house. Im ready to leave but i am on probation but i have a place to go to. What do i do

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
          Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
          If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
          We hope to hear from you soon.
          Be safe,
          NRS

I’m 14 and my parents call me rude names and kick me out all the time so this time I’m going to live with my aunt, does my mom have to pay for my living?

Comment

• ccsmod6
          ccsmod6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks so much for reaching out to NRS. We’re sorry to hear you’ve had to deal this. No one deserves to be treated that way.
          We’re not legal experts, but until you’re 18, your parents are required to provide you with shelter (a safe place to stay). So it’s not legal for parents to kick their kids out of the house. Please know that you have the right to report this to the authorities at any time by telling a teacher at school, calling the police or calling Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. They are an anonymous hotline that can help answer your questions or make a report.
          We’re not legal experts, but as your legal guardians, your parents are financially responsible for you – that means providing you with housing, clothes, food, healthcare and other basic needs. If they are not providing those things, you or your aunt can either report that to the authorities, or your aunt can contact a family law attorney. You or she is welcome to give NRS a call at 1-800-786-2929 and we can find low-cost or free legal aid resources in your area.
          It shows a lot of maturity that you are thinking through your next move and doing your research. We are here for you 24/7 at NRS if you’d like to talk more.

Hello, I just need the information on how to move out within a weekend, I have a friend to move in with but my parents are threatening cops but I got some dirt under my nails for them if they try. I'm a 15-year-old female and my childhood was my adulthood. I'm fed up and sick of this world, I'm just doing me now. Selfish or not. Any opinions would be great fr fr

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,
          Thank you for reaching out. We are glad that you did. We are sorry that you had to go through a childhood that was your adulthood. That sounds incredibly hard and we are glad that you survived it. We wouldn’t be able to give you information on how or whether to run away. We can listen to you about your situation and help you determine your options. We are dedicated to helping keep youth safe and off the streets.
          As far as threatening the police; if your parents filed a runaway report, and you came into contact with the police, you can tell them that you are not safe at home. We don’t view you and what you are going through as selfish. You deserve to be safe and supported in your home. We want you to do you in a way that is safe. We would be happy to discuss this further and help you with the options that you have and help you make a safety plan for whatever it is that you decide to do.
          You can reach us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-runaway) or with live chat through our website, 1800runaway.org Either way, we would be able to talk together to help you discover your options.

We hope this helps
          NRS

Hi, I’m 15 and I’m pregnant and want to move out or get my own place once my baby is born. I don’t get along with my dad at all he’s always making me feel down and he has a short temper and would not want him to be around my baby. I don’t trust my parents around my baby at all. What should I do?

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you definitely have a lot on your plate and your parents are not supporting you as much as they should through this high-stress period of your life. You do not deserve to always feel down as a result of your dad’s behavior.

You mention that you want to move out and get your own place once your baby is born. Emancipation is an option that may be worth exploring. Depending on your state, you can petition with the court to live on your own with proof that you are able to live independently and support yourself. Also, you mainly mention your dad and his hurtful behavior. Is your mom supportive? We are wondering if she could be a safe person for you to go to/stay with. Furthermore, you say that your dad has a short temper and may not be trustworthy around your baby. Has your dad every gotten physical with you or displayed any abusive behavior? If so, that is definitely never okay, and may be worth following an abuse report. Please do not hesitate to give us a call to talk about your situation further at 1-800-786-2929. We would love to talk to you more and try to help.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to reach out. It takes a lot to and you deserve a lot of credit. We see that you are trying to figure out your options and would love to help further if you would like to give us a call in the future. We are here to listen and here to help.

hi i am a 15 year old boy and i want to move out and live with a freind can i do that with out my parets pulling me out of the house and bringing me home

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parent’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

I’m 15 and I’m adopted but my uncle and his wife for about 3 years now and his wife mentally and verbally abuses me. She calls names and calls me retarded and also threatened me that’s she will do things that will put her in jail. I want to move in with a friend or run away because i can’t take it no more. My real parents can’t do anything about it because of financial issues and it’s been a really emotional time for me. I can’t take it no more. I also have suicidal thoughts sometimes because I’m in a situation that i cant do nothing about.

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello There,
          Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through an incredibly difficult time right now. Any type of abuse is never okay and you do not deserve to be treated that way. You can make a report by contacting Child Help: 1800-422-4453. Just know that that is not about you and it is their insecurities and their issues of why they are treating you that way.
          Having suicidal thoughts is a serious matter that should be taken seriously. You are worth living and you are valuable. It may not seem like it but there is always someone willing to listen and provide support. You can contact The National Suicide Hotline at: 1800-273-8255. Another option to consider is talking with a therapist or school counselor.
          You also mentioned wanting to leave, we are not legal experts but we do have information on the laws. If you were to leave without permission your legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police do find you they most likely would bring you home.
          We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
          NRS

I’m 15 I wanna leave my parents house and just go somewhere to live cause I’m getting punch by my big brother and I feel moving this house

Comment

• ccsmod0
          ccsmod0 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,
          Thank you for being brave enough to talk about your situation. First off we want to say that abuse whether its physical, sexual, emotional or verbal, it is never okay and you do not deserve it and do have the right to report it. We want you to know that you do have the right to make a report with Child Protective Services. Child Help USA is an information and referral line that can connect you with your local CPS abuse hotline. That number is 1-800-422-4453. We understand that making an abuse report can be intimidating so if you like we can call together to provide support.
          You do not deserve how your brother is treating you. It is understandable that you would want to leave a place where you are not being treated fairly and are being threatened. We don’t want you to give up hope or feel as is no one is there for you. There are other support services out there for you if you ever just need to talk to someone about what you are experiencing. The National Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800-273-8255 is a great resources for such a thing.
          We want to encourage you to give us as a call and we can help you come up with a safety plan and locate safe places for you to go. 1-800-786-2929 you can always call us to talk about what you are going through and receive some support. We provide free, confidential, and nonjudgmental services. Everyone deserves to be respected and loved.
          Best wishes,
          NRS

I am 14 years old, about to turn 15 in February. At the moment I live in a very verbally abusing family. My mom is seeing this guy who acts like he is this great guy when my mom is around but when she leaves he is a whole different person. I can't go live with my father because he is very big into drugs at the moment. I do have suicidal thoughts a lot and have even attempted to commit suicide before. Would there be any way at all to be able to leave home and not get into any legal problems. I am also wanting to cut off contact between me and my family except for my grandmother.

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Be safe,

NRS

Hi, I'm a 15 y/o female and I'm having trouble identifying whether I'm being abused or not! I live with my mom and stepdad and I always just thought that my stepdad was just an authoritarian parent, but I'm not sure anymore. He always yells at me and my siblings for really small things, like if we forget to do something we get scolded or if the family dog is being rowdy it's our fault. We're always told that we are lazy, despite the fact that we do ALL of the household chores while my parents do none. When asked to help out, my stepdad will retort that we are just lazy, and he doesn't have to help because he is an adult. Me and him get into an argument at least once per day, mainly because I will get blamed for something and defend myself. I always speak in a calm voice, and watch my words with him to avoid being a stereotypical "teenager" who just wants to defy their parents. It doesn't matter if I am right, no matter how many people are defending me in my family, he is always right. I am often told that "children should be seen and not heard." It hurts. My siblings and I all get along well, and joke and laugh with each other and my mom as well. It's always when he gets home that we become nervous, or when we come back from my real dad's house. My little siblings are already expressing their anxiety for coming home. My mom is usually on my side for the time being, but my stepdad is always playing the victim card. He says things like "everyone is against me" or "I know, I'm always wrong," or you people don't are about me." After him and I argue, my mom has to listen to him scold her about me, and how she doesn't punish me for fighting with him. After a while my mom will approach me again and scold me. I don't get mad at her for this though, I have alot of respect for my mom and I know the only reason she does this is to get peace from him. The other half of the time is goofy and lighthearted poking at each other. I don't like to talk to my friends about it anymore, as they're confused that I tell them that my stepdad is mean and not understanding, and then recite a funny joke he said the next day. It looks as if I'm just complaining when I don't get my way, I've noticed that. I don't talk about him anymore to them. The thought of being on my own is so tempting, but my mom will never emancipate me. I don't know who to talk to anymore. I can't just "sit down and talk to my family about it", I never get taken seriously and told that I'm being dramatic. I almost believe them. I know there are kids with much more strict households and deal with it. I feel like I'm just being weak or bratty. If it sounds so, please tell me, I will try to correct my attitude towards him. Thank you so much. <3

Comment

• ccsmod1
          ccsmod1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. It can be really hard not having your friends as an outlet to voice your feelings about your stepdad but we want you to know that we believe you when you say that his behavior changes so much. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

It sounds like your mom and stepdad maybe don't fully understand when you are trying to relay your thoughts and feelings about your current situation. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your mom and stepdad so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

It’s important to consider all the possibilities that can occur if you leave home. You will need to plan out how you will cover basic necessities like travel, food, clothing, etc. If you have a place to go in mind, it’s good to see what the expectations of the living arrangement will be like; rules, the amount of time you’re allowed to stay, if you’re expected to contribute financially, etc. Living on your own can also bring about many safety risks. You will need to consider ways that you can protect yourself from physical harm as well as the possibility of sexual and labor exploitation. This can all influence your decision to leave.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
          NRS

hi i don't feel safe at home i'm almost 15 i want to leave. i'm transgender my parents don't understand. i'm verbally and phisically abused. i need to leave as soon as possible. please help me i'm on edge of ending it or running away. please help me i go by Jacob

Comment

• ccsmod13
          ccsmod13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Jacob,

We are so glad you found the NRS website and decided to reach out. It sounds like home has not been safe for you and it is making you feel like leaving would be the safer option. Abuse of any kind is never okay and certainly not your fault. It must be stressful to feel like your parents are not understanding and do not support who you are.

If you are feeling unsafe, it can be helpful to inform child protective services. This would get a social worker involved who can help you and make sure you have a safe place to live. The national child abuse hotline can help offer support and talk with you about this process. You can contact them at 1-800-422-4453 or at https://www.childhelp.org/hotline/ . The Trevor Project is also available to help young people who identify within the LGBTQ who are in crisis and need a judgement free space to talk about what is going on (www.thetrevorproject.org ; 1-866-488-7386).

If something happens at home and you feel like you need to leave immediately, you can contact the national safe place for help. All you have to do is text "safe" to 44357 and they will respond with the nearest safe place or you can go to nationalsafeplace.org .

We are available 24/7 to help by phone (1-800-786-2929) and online chat service. We want to offer support during this difficult situation and help you figure out what you want your next steps to be. Do not hesitate to reach out any time so that we can better help you.

Be safe,

NRS
          Last edited by ccsmod13; 09-13-2019, 11:23 PM.
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
      x
      x
      Working...
      X