No announcement yet.

I'm 15 and want to move out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't want to live here im scared what would happen if I ran away but I do y wanna find my bio dad to live with him and I feel like living with family WD start to many issues uss my family is toxic could I live with my bf and his family im turning 15 in Feb 2

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
      NRS

I've read the other responses here and it seems like im out of luck.. im a 15 year old female and I absolutely cannot take this anymore. Under a court order, I live with my dad. He is CRAZY. multiple other family members who know him like i do say the same thing. I honestly believe he has some kind of psychotic issue. No jokes. I can't handle the verbal, mental, and emotional abuse anymore. This is completely different than the average teenager who "hates their parents". My father is narcissistic and will do anything to make himself the humble victem. This is why it is so difficult to get out of my situation. Im just made to look crazy when I explain my position. I can't do it anymore. I'll be 16 in about 5 months. I already know i wont be emancipated. I dont know what to do. I'm so miserable and depressed here. (Not suicidal tho) I can't live with my mom. The only person I could live with is my grandma. What do I do? Is there anything I can do????? I'm at the end of my rope. Im trying to see if I can do something smart before I just up and leave and not come back.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen.
      We are sorry that you are going through such a difficult time with your father, no one deserves to be abused. You do have the right to file an abuse report, there are a few ways you can do this. One option to consider is speaking with your school counselor because they are mandated reporters they would be required to make an abuse report. Another option you could consider is calling Child help at: 1800-422-4453 and they can help with filing an abuse report.
      Unfortunately if you do leave home without permission your legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. You could consider talking with your grandma to see what options you may have.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck in your situation.
      NRS

Hi there I'm 15 and my parents always verbally abuse me and I'm getting to the point where I cant take it anymore. I know they love me and I love them too but I cant deal with them making me feel stupid and worthless and like I'm never gonna be successful in life. Please let me know what to do, I want to move out but I dont wanna leave my family especially my little sister.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen, it sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now.
      You do not deserve to be verbally abused, you do have the right to make a report. You can make an abuse report by calling Child help at: 1800-422-4453. Another option you could consider would be to speak to your school’s counselor about what has been going on at home. Sometimes it does help to have a professional to talk to and they can provide you with options.
      Because you are a minor if you left home it would be considered running away. We are not legal experts but if you left without permission your legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. You could try talking with your family or a trusted adult about how you are feeling. If you do find running away is your only option and you need a place to stay call us and we can help you look for shelters.
      We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you. Best of luck!
      NRS

Im 15 and my moms been toxic for the last few years, grounding me for stupid reasons, such as telling her i was molested and eating. I cant stand living with her. My older siblings have been through the same thing. My birthdays in 66 days and I was going to move out then, but I dont think I can wait. Can I move out without consent now?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now.
      We are not legal experts but if you were to leave now or when you turn 16 your legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you home. One option to consider is seeing if you could stay with a friend or family member. Another option would be to talk with your school counselor about what has been going on. Sometimes talking with a school counselor can help and they may be able to help explore options.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
      NRS

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS. This sounds like a tough situation to be in and we’re happy you reached out for help. You ask “can I move out without consent now?” which is kind of complex to answer because you’re still 2 ½ years out from turning 18. That is the nationwide age of adulthood. So technically, no, you can’t move out right now on your own and not potentially have the police take you back home. Because until then, your mother (or another guardian) can file a runaway report and engage the police to help her. Especially if you’re still under 17 years old, we find police actively help reunite youth to their guardians. However, we are not legal experts and are sharing our extensive experience vs. giving you official legal advice.
      That said, while you don’t have total freedom to do live where you want just yet you do have many options to improve your situation:
      • Counseling – In your post you mention fighting with your mom and how that hurt your feelings and makes you want to leave. You have the option to talk with counselors in your area that can help you make sense of these situations and develop ways or avoid them in the future. If you want to learn more about this please call us at 1-800-Runaway and an NRS liner can walk you through options you may have access to.
      • Getting mom’s permission to live somewhere else - Many families find other living arrangements where kids don’t live with their parents but with trusted people with the parents’ permission. This gives parents and youth some breathing room while making sure the youth is taken care of. You mention in your post you have older siblings, could you live with them or any other trusted family member or family friend? This could also be something you can bring up with your mom and over time eventually make this decision. Again, you can call us here at NRS to chat about this further. We can even help talk to your mom with you if you’re both interested in this option.
      • Shelters – Sometimes situations at home are too much to bear and people can feel that they must leave before things get any worse. Staying at shelters are options for you during times like these to avoid living on the streets where your safety is at much a higher risk. Please call us at NRS to understand your local shelter options, and how to access them, if you ever feel you get close to needing this resource.
      The most important thing right now is for you to feel a bit more in control of your situation and your happiness. We encourage you to think about you could make you feel this way. And always remember you can reach us here at NRS for any help we mention above or for any other concern you may have.
      Thanks,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X