Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 15 and want to move out

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 15 years old and don't feel safe/ loved at home I constantly feel scared when at my house. I have a job that pays alright I was thinking of staying with a friend.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. Everyone including you deserves to feel loved and safe at home. We are sorry to hear that it sounds like you might be being mistreated and that you feel scared in your own house. If you feel like you are in immediate danger, call 911. If you feel like the way you’re being treated might be abusive, please do not hesitate to call the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453. Calling does not require you to report, so if you have any questions about the process and what it looks like, feel free to call them and ask.

We aren’t legal experts, but we have general knowledge about running away. In most states, running away isn’t illegal, but what is called a status offense. You can’t get arrested for it but it will mostly likely go on your record until you are 18. The police will only know if you have runaway if your parents/guardians file a police report. We can’t say for sure how the police will respond, but we hear a lot that police will take potential places you might be and will actively search for you. If they come across you, the most likely will return you home to your parents. Sometimes we hear that if you are staying with someone who knows you are a runaway and are not actively trying to return you or finding shelter for you, your guardians/or police can press charges against the people who are housing you, with something that is called harboring. One of our main goals is to make sure you are safe, so if you ever seriously decide to run away and need shelter, resources, or a safe place to go you can find safe locations at nationalsafeplace.org or reach out to us directly and we can find local resources in your area.

If you would like to talk to us in greater detail about what’s going on at home and what options you might have, please reach out to us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

Hi I’m 14 and really feel hated and like I’m not wanted I really want to move with my older cousin but she says I can’t what do I do.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now. It’s difficult to feel hated and unwanted. You may want to reach out to a school counselor, sometimes talking to someone about your feeling may help you feel better. They may be also to provide ways to cope with what you are going through. Because you are 14 if you were to leave home without your legal guardian’s permission you could be considered as a runaway. We are not legal experts but if the police were to find you they would most likely bring you back home. You could consider asking if you can stay at another family members home, or friends house. We hope this information was helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to discuss your situation further please feel free to give us a call we are here 24/7. We wish you the best of luck in your situation, stay strong!
      NRS

Hi im 15, and in desperate to move out of my home because me and my mum often argue and it gets out of hand and things or things are said and I just can't take it anymore, my friend said I could go and live with her but she'd have to ask her mum but if her mum says no I don't know what else to do, PLEASE HELP!!!

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mother’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mother. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
      As far as living with your friend it would help if your mom gave you permission so that there is no trouble with the police. But again know that your mom holds guardianship. Just know that you can always reach out to us.
      Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Hi, i'm 15 and i am really depressed and don't feel comfortable in my country anymore. Also, it's not like i'm being abused or anything, i'm just being put under a lot of pressure, i have thought about moving out of the country, but i don't want my parents to know, i know it's almost inpossible but i need to get out of here. I don't have family abroad and my dream has always been to go to South Korea, can you help me please???

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now. We are not legal experts but we do have general knowledge of the laws. Because you are 15 if you were to leave home without your parents’ permission you could be considered as a runaway. Running away is not a criminal offense it is a status offense, what that means is that if the police found you they would most likely bring you home. It may be hard to go to another country because often times for minors to get into another country they need to be companied by their legal guardian or they need a written permission prom a legal guardian. There are other options for you other than running away. You could consider talking to a school counselor about how you are feeling, sometimes talking to a professional can help us feel better. Also you could consider doing hobbies you enjoy to keep your mind off of what is going on at home.
      If you still feel like running away is your best option, your safety is the top concern. You may want to consider what you will do for shelter, and how you will eat. If you need a safe place to stay, you can call us and we can help you look for shelters or a transitional living programs.
      We hope this information will be helpful in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to talk more about your situation please feel free to give us a call, we are here 24/7.
      Best of Luck!
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X