No announcement yet.

Moving out at 16

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moving out at 16

    So i want to move in with my boyfriend once i turn 16, but i don’t know how to go about getting parents permission? is there a legal thing where they have to sign off? and also my parents are divorced and i live with my mom so would i only need her permission or my dads as well?

  • #2
    Hi there. First, we aren't legal experts so we can't say anything with 100% certainty on these sorts of questions. There is a form for temporary guardianship that your parents along with the adult taking care of you can sign and have notarized. Other than that, we aren't aware of any legal forms that address your situation and it's possible a simple verbal agreement would be acceptable. If your dad has shares guardianship over you and is opposed to the arrangement you are trying to set up this could be problematic, however. It might be best to keep him informed and make sure he is agreeable to it.

    That's about all we can say given the information you've provided us with. If you'd like further legal help we can try to find a legal resource in your area that might be able to answer your questions with more details. If you give us a call you can give us your city and state and we can provide you with that. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY. Or you can chat with us online by clicking on the chat button at the top of our webpage,

    All the best,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp