Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do i have to go through court to leave home at 18?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do i have to go through court to leave home at 18?

My parents want to possibly move before I finish highschool and the in the time period that they wish to move, I should be turning 18. Would i have to go through court to move out, even though eighteen is the age of majority?

Do i have to go through court to leave home at 18?

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

In most states eighteen is the legal age of adulthood thus giving the individual turning eighteen independence and the right to move out of their parent’s home.
    I sounds like you will still be in High school when this occurs and would like to know if this might present a legal snag in you being able to leave home.

Being that we are not legal experts you might consider contacting your local police department in order to confirm the age of adulthood in your state and if still be a high school student would prevent your independence from your parents. Does that make sense?

We appreciate you reaching out and we hope that we have been of some help.
    You are welcome to contact our 24hr crisis line 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) to talk more about your situation.
    Visit NRS live chat at www.1800Runaway.org

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X