Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nine and want to temperarily run away

I'm nine years old and want to temporarily run away because it's been so chaotic at home lately. It's mostly my three year-old brother and my five year-old sister, but part of it is me too. I figure everyone would be better off
    without me for a while and I'd likesome time away from them too.But, Is it legal for me to be in a public building such as a restaurant or a store alone at this age? And I need somewhere to go too. Can you help me?

Re: Nine and want to temperarily run away

Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us. We’re sorry to hear that your younger siblings are causing you stress. It makes sense that you would want some space and time to yourself.

It is not a crime to runaway, but if you leave home, your parents could call the police and the police would likely look for you and try to return you home. If you are hanging out in a store or restaurant without buying anything or without an adult, people who work there might ask you to leave.

You might find the organization National Safe Place helpful if you decide to leave home: http://nationalsafeplace.org/text-4-help/. They can text you safe places where you can go and there website has lists of locations where there are overnight shelters for kids.

We hope this is helpful. Feel free to call us or chat with us online if you want to continue discussing your situation at home and ways to stay safe if you leave.

Stay strong,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X