Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to run away. I'm only ten and I really need help and guidance.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to run away. I'm only ten and I really need help and guidance.

Where would I go if i ran away?
    Is it legal for a ten year-old to be in a public building such as a restaurant or store alone?

Re: I want to run away. I'm only ten and I really need help and guidance.

Hello there,

Thank you for checking out our online forum and we’re glad you felt comfortable reaching out for help. We aren’t legal experts, so we can’t be 100% certain of all laws associated with ten year olds being in public buildings alone. One thing you might encounter is local curfew and also adults asking you the reason you are alone. Please keep in mind we aren’t here to judge you or tell you what to do; however, we do care about your safety. We also recognize how there are often more safety concerns the younger you are as a runaway in terms of where you’ll sleep, support yourself, etc. Some cities/states do have youth shelters which may be able to help minors of all ages so if we know yours we can do a search. There is also National Safe Place which can be a starting point: http://nationalsafeplace.org/. Hopefully this helps and we wish you the best of luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I would call you but my parents would probably notice. That would defeat my purpose of running. I live in Virginia. If you can find one close to me (I live in Winchester VA.), that would be great. Thank you for your help. Thank
      you for starting this site. The reason I was asking about public buildings is I was thinking I might need those to buy food. Again, Thank you so much for helping me. And, The reason I want to run away is life is just chaotic at
      home. It'll be temporary though. And could you give me some advice for one more thing? I'm scared about running away. It's probably a popular thing with runaways. I can just see myself standing at the end of my driveway with a
      suitcase full of stuff and chickening out! Running back inside unpacking everything. Can you help me with that?

Comment

Yes, it definitely makes sense that you’re scared. Running away is a new situation, and there’s lots to think about. But also, everyone deserves a safe and stable environment, so if you feel like things are too chaotic at home, it’s great that you are taking steps to find a solution.

Think about whether there are other family or friends you could stay with. Sometimes youth who are dealing with a tense situation at home, go and live with family or friends for a while. Sometimes parents even know about and agree to that.

Also, think about putting your safety first. You might want to have people you can check in with who you trust, who know where you are going, and who you can get in touch with. That way, you have someone to talk to if you feel unsafe or are overwhelmed.

Consider whether you have other options to make your home life less chaotic. Think about whether family counseling might help, or maybe bringing in another adult or family member to help everyone talk things through. We have resources like that, if you ever do have a chance to call.

Lastly, we’re not quite sure what you mean by public buildings. If you mean shelters, you can check nationalsafeplace.org (or, again, call us if you are ever able to.) There are shelters for kids, but just so you know, legally, they have to notify your guardians after a while.

Again, it’s great that you are trying to find ways to deal with the tough situation you are in. We’re so sorry you have to deal with this situation. We wish you all the best.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Thanks! What I mean by public buildings is like restaurants or stores. I don't have any family or friends I could stay with, unfortunately. And my parents' schedule is usually kinda busy so they don't usually let me get out like
          that very often. (I'm NOT saying there is anything wrong with their parenting or anything. There definitely isn't.)

Comment

Hello there,
            It looks like you’ve reached out to us about this topic multiple times. It might be more productive for you to call us directly (1-800-786-2929) or try the Live Chat on this website.
            It sounds like a lot is going on, we might better be able to help with details and information about the situation that would be too lengthy to include on the forum. Please consider reaching out to us directly.
            Best of luck,
            NRS

Tell us what you think about your experience!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
            x
            x
            Working...
            X