Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kicked out at 17

Hello, my dad has officially dropped the "get out and never come back," on me once more and this time i felt I'd ask for help here. Im seventeen, and i live in Michigan and intend on going to Illinois for a place to live and work. Is this legal? And, can i get sent back?
    the reason i ask is because he told me, " if i see you iin my house again im calling the cops cause youre breaking and entering." This confuses me as i can't legally move out without consent, and they cant kick a minor out, but now im considered a stranger to my family. What can i do?

Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that your dad is treating you in such a callous and harsh manner. It is our understanding that, in the state of Michigan, a youth can move out at age 17 and will not be forced to return home. If you have other family or friends who can put you up, it is perfectly legal for you to stay with them. If you do not, we would be happy to look up available youth shelters in your area. Also, while we are not legal experts, what your father said about breaking and entering your house is probably not correct. As a minor, your parents are legally obligated to take care of you. If you want to know for sure, call your county police non-emergency line by dialing 311 and you can ask an officer if you can “break and enter” into your own house as a minor. If you want to talk more specifically about your situation or if you would like us to look up resources for you, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X