No announcement yet.

I Want To Live With My Father

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I Want To Live With My Father

    I'm 15 years old and I want to live with my father. My mother is verbally abusive, and she doesn't let me eat sometimes, and she makes me clean up after her other 4 kids and if I don't do it when she wants me to, she hits me. She won't let me speak to my father anymore because she knows I don't want to live with her anymore, but she's just trying to keep her section 8 and food stamps.

  • #2
    RE: I Want To Live With My Father

    Hello There!

    Thank you so much for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. Taking this first step is not always easy, but it shows how resilient you are to making things better for yourself. It sounds like you are going through a difficult situation with how you are being treated at home by your mother. You are so strong for having gone through so much already. No one deserves to go through that type of abuse, Whether it be physically, verbal, or neglect. You are not alone in this. We are here to help as best as we can. If you ever wanted to talk more or get additional support, we are here 24/7 at 1800-RUNAWAY.

    An option that you can look into is reporting what you are experiencing. This can look like going to the authorities if you ever feel in danger again or to child protective services. You can do this by either calling Child Help at 1800-422-2253 where you can get directed to your local reporting agency. We at NRS can also be of some support during this process. IF you call us we can call out and report this on your behalf or we can report together.

    You mentioned wanting to go to your father's house. It could be an option to talk your father to find ways of allowing this to happen. We can look into some legal resources that could help navigate that process. If you feel like you best decision is to leave now without your mother's permission, it is not illegal to do so. We are not legal experts, but typically police are required to return you home. There may be other legal repercussions that can happen regarding custody and harboring a runaway. One way to a better idea of what could possibly happen is calling out to the police to ask about your concerns. You do not have to give any information about yourself or your situation. If you feel more comfortable with this. If you call us first we can call out together or on your behalf as well.

    Stay Strong,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp