Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17 and want to run away

Okay so I've been reading a lot of these forums, and a lot of these kids sound like they have legitimate reasons to run. All of my life I have been fed, clothes have been put on my back and a roof over my head. But around age 10, my older brother who was 14 came out about being sexually abused at a church camp he went to. We had to create a world for my older brother, everything was about him and making sure he was okay. We couldn't say certain things or act a certain way or talk about certain things or watch certain things. Often times he'd go off on rage and beat up a punching bag we had on the back porch with a bat and be cussing it out the whole time, pretending it was the molester. But that's just to show the point of how much focus was on my older brother. We sued the church camp and that was a 4-5 year process, and during that time I feel like I was forgotten. Everything was about my older brother, so I got lost in the mix. When my brother left for college, we lost our world, all the attention was now open for me, and as soon as he left and I turned 16, BOOM. Tons of rules and restrictions and stress were given to me. I had a girlfriend that summer and we had sex. She was very depressed and it weighed me down and I was already depressed from the way my parents made me feel. My parents would and still do play mind games with me. They'll be acting all affectionate and caring and then the next moment I'm getting in trouble for something. My parents found out we had sex and took everything away from me and forced us to break up. They also called her mom and told her what happened. A week later I hit a car going very slow, and my dad was yelling at me. I felt terrible for all that I had done so I cut myself, twice. One cut was deep and the other wasn't. My mom caught me and my dad started yelling at me and cussed at me, then took me to the hospital and put me in the Pavilion. I got released quickly because I really didn't need to be there. And the doctors recognized that, but put me on a heavier sleep and depression medication (I was already taking depression medication before all of this happened, thanks to my parents). Well time went by and I got a new girlfriend. She's better than the last one, and helps me and lifts me up, she is strong emotionally and mentally and helps me a lot. I'm not dependent on her because really I don't cut. But I took my grandparent's dog's tramadol and experimented with over the counter cough syrup (on different days, not at the same time). I'm not a druggie and I don't do drugs, I just tried those two and that's as far as I'm going and im never doing either again, but my parents know about it. If I run away, could they use any of this against me? Would the cops make me go home because of what I've done? I'm emotionally stable now, it's just my parents still play this mind game and it's torture to me. I live in Texas by the way. I have a friend that ran away for the same reasons but he didn't have a track record of cutting (which I only ever did once btw). He was 17 when he ran and the cops didn't make him go home but my case is different because of what I've done. He's 19 now and doing great so I know I can make it, I have friends that told me they will help me and feed me and all that stuff and I know they will. I just want to know if I'll be arrested for what I've done. Thank you

re: I'm 17 and want to run away

Hello,

It seems like you are going through a lot at home with your family situation. It must be hard to have felt left out and ignored for a long period of time. If you do need to vent you can always reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Their number is 1-800-273-8255 and they are also available via chat on their website www.suicidepreventionlife.org.

We aren’t legal experts so this information isn’t 100% for certain. But, in general, you wouldn't be arrested for running away. It's not a crime or illegal. Being under 18 you would be considered a minor in most states. So if your family files a runaway report for you there is potential that you would be taken back home if you come in contact with the police. They may also actively look for you, if they are aware of your location. Also, there is a chance that if you are staying with another adult, that they could potentially be charged with harboring a runaway. The consequences for that can range from fines, to jail time. If you are considering running away, you may want to consider how you would survive if you left. It is also a good idea to think of a backup plan in case your initial plans don’t work out.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X