Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running as an adult

Legally, I'm an adult. 20 years old. I'm thinking of leaving home because it's unsafe for me to stay here, I'm constantly afraid of getting hurt by my brother (who has extreme anger issues) and I'm constantly being put down and called worthless/ungrateful/stupid/other bad things (I also have a problem of knowing my family is unsupportive of the kind of person I am, as they talk bad about people like me all the time). I was hoping to find out if anyone here knows where to look to find out if my family filed a missing persons/runaway report on me if the police would be capable of making me return here (as I'd likely have nowhere else to go, but I'm 100% prepared to be on my own/homeless if it came to that). I live in North Carolina, if that helps.

Re: Running as an adult

Thank you so much for reaching out to us. That sounds like an extremely difficult situation to be living in. You don’t deserve to be hurt, put down or called names. It would be very hard for anyone to feel as though their family does not support them. It is actually very smart to have a plan before leaving home. Researching where you will live and how you can support yourself is a good idea.

While we are not able to provide legal advice, we can tell you that the age of majority (legally adult) in most states is 18; therefore, you would be able to move out without your parents filing a report. You can always call the non-emergency number for your local police department to find out what would happen in your area. For youth under the age of majority, running away is typically called a status offence which means it is not illegal.

Again, we’re really glad that you contacted us to gather information. That took a lot of courage and strength. If you would like to talk further about your situation or get some assistance with resources, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We’re here to help 24 hours a day.

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X