Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost 17 and I want to move out

I am a girl,I live in Texas and I turn 17 in about two weeks and I have talked to my mom about moving out and living with my girlfriend and her family until we can afford our own place because she is 18 and we both have jobs. My mother says that she would be okay with it but my father won't allow it and I was just wondering if I need both parents permission to leave the family household and live somewhere else or if one parents permission will do?

re: Almost 17 and I want to move out

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. At this time, we are unable to say what you can legally do with a single parent permission. The laws are different in each city/state and there are a number of different variable that could change what your options are. If you live with your mom and she often makes the decisions, it could be the case, but we are unsure about how that would work specifically. The best option to know for sure would be to try and contact local legal aid or court offices with your mom. Maybe emancipation could be an option for you?

If there is anything else we can do, feel free to reach out.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X