•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod10
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to us for help. It sounds like things at home are a bit tough right now.

We are always here if you’d ever want to talk about your situation more. We are not legal experts, but one thing to note is that if you decided to leave home, your parents would be able to file a runaway report with the local police department. If the police were to find you, they would have to return you back home to your parents. You mentioned that you turn 18 in four months, we have seen police not take runaway reports on 17 year olds. We offer to call out with youth to their local police station to find out exactly what they do.
    Again, we are glad that you decided to contact us. We’re always here to listen and help in any way that we can. If you’re interested in talking more about your situation, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7 and are a completely confidential hotline. We also have a database of resources that may help in your situation.

Be safe and good luck,

NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 17, I turn 18 in 4 months (April) I live in Connecticut. If I were to leave the house I live in now without parental consent can I be arrested for being a run away? How can I leave without getting in legal trouble

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied
    Re: 17 leaving home, CT, without parental consent

Thanks for posting on our bulletin boards. It sounds like you want some legal information concerning leaving without consent. It’s important to note that we’re not lawyers nor can we give specific legal information. However, we can let you know about the general policy and procedure concerning runaways.

When it comes to leaving without consent, there are several different possible outcomes. In most states a parent can file a youth under 18 as a runaway when they leave without permission. The normal “procedure” for how the police handle runaways is they take the report and if they know where you are/find you, they will pick you up and bring you back home. Usually the only way an officer won’t bring you home is if the youth expresses that they’re not safe at home. In that case, they would contact Child Protective Services instead and CPS would then do an investigation to determine whether the home was safe or not. Obviously there are several outcomes to CPS as well, but you mentioned in your post that there’s not physical abuse, so it’s possible they would place you back at home.

Every police department is different though and a lot of this depends on the individual police department’s discretion. 17 is a gray area for a lot of police departments. Most police departments consider youth a runaway and will make them go home up until the day they turn 18. A few police departments, may still consider the 17 year old youth a runaway, but won’t necessarily make them go home. And even fewer police departments consider 17 an adult and won’t even take a runaway report. The best way to find out the procedure in your area is to actually contact the local police department.

As far as the people you’re staying with goes, there is a possibility that they could get in trouble. A lot of states consider it illegal to “harbor a runaway” or “contribute to the delinquency of a minor”. This usually applies to adults that allow a runaway youth to stay with them and don’t call the youth’s parents or the police to let them know that the youth is staying with them. Again, this depends on what the laws in your area are.

We hope this helps you make a more informed decision. If you have any more questions or want to talk more in depth about any of this, feel free to call us anytime. Our hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY, is available 24/7. Best of luck.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic 17 leaving home, CT, without parental consent

17 leaving home, CT, without parental consent

Hello, I'm 17 years old and I want to live with a friend. No physical abuse, and the story is a long one, (my mother and I don't get along, and haven't for like 8 years) so i'll skip to the key points.

I'm not 18 (birthday in Nov.)
    Leaving without consent

Can an officer bring me home?
    Do I HAVE to go with him?
    Can the people i'm moving in with get into legal trouble?
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X