Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to leave

I am 16 year old female, and I live with my sister, brother and mom. My dad technically doesn't live with us because he always works in different states. I have never been a trouble child , 4.0 GPA ,AP classes , summer courses to get ahead , never went to a party, never drinked/smoked/had sex. Never had a boyfriend, nothing . It's been really hard living at home because I get physically and mentally abused by my family members. My mom always sais that she shouldv'e never brought me from Ukraine ,or that she will send me back. She also claims that she wants us, including me to leave already, because we're not allowing her to live . But then when I bring up the subject of me actually leaving, she yells "you will be dead to me!!" . Always contradicting herself. I have a druggatic brother that stays at our house often .When he comes back from work , he is a truck driver . My mom lets him stay, even tho he have stolen a macbook Air from my sister , prescription meds, PlayStation and money from my brother , and over 200$ from me. Everybody wants him to leave , except her . I don't feel safe and my belongings aren't safe either . I don't have a place to sleep , so I sleep on the couch. I believe I have rights to feel safe, to have a place to sleep. etc. I'm in the process of getting a job , and if I leave I will continue attending school and work hard. I want to leave my house , with or without their consent . I don't even have a place to study , I literally only have drawers for clothes, and that's it. I have shared a room with my brother, but he kicked me out . And my sister , she hates me and so do I . So it never really works out. I don't really know what to do , I feel like my situation is hopeless and I'll never get out . Leaving with them is hindering my education, I don't feel safe, and I don't have any space . Should I wait till I'm 18 to move out ? Because I feel like that's the best option.

Re: I want to leave

Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are having a very hard time living at home with your family, and that you don’t feel safe in your own home. You are very brave to reach out for help with your situation.

You mentioned that you have been physically and mentally abused, and that your mother often threatens to send you back to the Ukraine. No child deserves to be abused by an adult, physically or mentally. Have you spoken to anyone about this? A place to start might be with a trusted teacher or guidance counselor, or the parent of a friend. You do have the right to feel safe and secure in your own home. It also sounds like your relationship with your siblings is hindering your studying and comfort in your own space. You said your dad works in a different state. Have you talked to him about what is going on in his absence and how it is affecting you?

You also said you are considering waiting until you’re 18 to move out. It may be helpful to consider ways to stay safe in the meantime, and ways to prepare for the future. This might include ideas such as using the library for study and quiet, joining extracurricular activities, or even getting a part-time job to save more money to leave. If you choose to call us, we can go over your situation in-depth and explore further options with you to reach a solution. We are available 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We care about you, and we hope you’ll give us a call soon.
    Sincerely,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X