Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the consequences of moving out at age 17 in georgia?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the consequences of moving out at age 17 in georgia?

Hi, I'm 17, I'll be 18 in about 6 months and I want to move out within the next two. My boyfriend is 19 and he will be moving out of state in August. We have tried to talk to my parents about me moving there because we both work and I am currently finished with school(Ged). But they are not having it. How much trouble would I get in for leaving? Im not in a bad home life, I just want to be on my own, and yes I understand how hard it is to live on your own.. I just want to make sure neither of us would get in trouble. Thanks!

Re: What are the consequences of moving out at age 17 in georgia?

Hi there,

Thank you for posting your story on our online forum. We’re happy that you came across us and are trying to find out the consequences to leaving home before taking action. In most places, at age 17 your parents can file a runaway report if you leave home without permission. This would authorize the police to return you home, but usually doesn’t carry any legal consequences. Calling your police non-emergency line might be helpful to see how they handle runaway cases in your area. If you aren’t totally comfortable calling on your own, you can give us a call and we can help reach out to them on your behalf. You would just need to call us at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). There are also harboring charges that can be pressed against someone who houses a runaway. Just something to keep in mind if you or your boyfriend were concerned.

Hope this information is helpful, we would be happy to continue discussing your situation if you contact us directly.

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X