Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to move out

I am 17 years of age I want to get emancipated so I can legally move out, would that be possible? I have a place to stay, I will have roommates, I have a job, I go to school, I have transportation, and I am very responsible. I live in Oklahoma, can I get emancipated without parents consent?

Re: I want to move out

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are having a hard time living at home. Home should always feel comfortable. It sounds like you have a lot of support with your roommates and a plan for how you will take care of yourself once you are independent. It’s great that you are trying to figure out your options and see what steps you can take.

We’re not legal experts here, but we can speak generally about options. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents’ permission. We understand that might be challenging, maybe there’s a another family member, a relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how your feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, looking into emancipation is an option. It’s not so much consent as it is going through the legal process. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially. Emancipation can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

We hope this information is helpful and that you contact us directly through phone or chat if you want to keep discussing.

Stay strong,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X