No announcement yet.

15, want to leave

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 15, want to leave

    Recently me and my parents have been fighting. I have been neglected for most my my life. Whenever I am recognized I am either given work, or I am being blamed for everything. I want to leave and go elsewhere. Am I allowed to do this legally? And if I have a place to go, can they do anything once I am there? I am frustrated with them and just want to leave this toxic environment as I am a developer and cant focus without thinking about all this, and being blamed for everything.

  • #2
    Thank you for telling us your story and reaching out. It can be difficult telling others what has happened to you and you have shown great strength by doing so. It can be frustrating feeling like you are being blamed for everything and having no one on your side. You should not have to feel like that. If you are being neglected and if you haven’t already, you could consider reporting the abuse you’ve been experiencing. If you want more information about abuse reporting or if you want to file a report, you could call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453.

    We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for having you stay there without your parents’ consent which is called “harboring.” You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

    If you don’t feel safe and feel like you need to get away provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 44357 the word “safe,” and your location to find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member. We can also look up shelters in your area but most shelters require your parents’ consent to stay there since you are a minor.

    One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your parents why you feel like you are always getting blamed for things and why you believe staying there is toxic. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you. If you want to reach us, you can chat with us anytime at or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7, and we are ready to listen and help however we can.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove