No announcement yet.

my mom hit me with a ruler because of a hickey

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • my mom hit me with a ruler because of a hickey

    my mom hit me with a ruler because of a hickey, my parents have treated me poorly for a while and now my 18yr old boyfriend wants to help me leave i turn 17 tomorrow can i leave without getting him in trouble or what should i do

  • #2
    Hello, thank you for sharing a bit of what has been going on. It sounds like your parents have not been treating you adequately and you would like to live with your boyfriend now. It is understandable that you would want to leave a place where you get physically hurt. We want you to know that we are not legal experts nor are we affiliated with the police so we can only speak generally about what could happen if a youth leaves home without the consent of a guardian. Leaving home without parental consent (running away) is not a crime, so the police will not arrest you. If you do leave home without permission your guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. Running away is not a crime it is a status offence (something that only a minor can get in trouble for: truancy, buying cigarettes, etc.) this means that if you have any interaction with the police they will simply return you home. On the other hand the people that you are found to be staying with could face legal consequences that vary depending on your state. We say this because at 17 this can be a legal grey area for how police handle the situation. You can find out more about how runaway’s reports are carried out by contacting your local police department.
    We hope that this information helps and if you would like to talk more about your situation please feel free to give us a call anytime. 1-800-786-2929.
    Best wishes,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      my mom hit me with a glass ruler what do i do


      • ccsmod6
        ccsmod6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you reaching out to NRS. We are sorry to hear that you were hit with a ruler. You deserve love and respect! We are wondering more about your situation and feel it may be helpful for you to chat in live or speak to someone on the phone so that we may be able to provide you will the best possible help. You can reach us at 1-800-runaway or you can chat live with a person at You are certainly more than welcome to write in again as well. It may be helpful for us if you provide a bit more information about your situation. We are available through chat or phone 24/7. If you are experiencing abuse and feel you need help, you can contact the national abuse hotline or chat with them as well. You can reach them 24/7 at 1-800-422-4433 or If you would like to make an abuse report, you can do that with us or child help, but we would need to hear from you in person. Please take care and reach back out at anytime. NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif