No announcement yet.

Please help

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Please help

    My 16 nearly 17 year old daughter wants to. Move to another state with her boyfriends family do I have to sign my parental rights over to them

  • #2
    Hello there –

    Thanks for reaching out to us here on our public forum for some help. Hopefully by helping you through your situation, there are others reading through this that can be helped. Sounds like you have some questions about your child, so hopefully we can help you through that.

    Please note that we aren’t legal experts at all so we can only tell you what we know generally based on what we have heard from our callers and talking to police officers. Now from what we know about youth who want to leave home and live someplace else is that it all comes down to what the parent agrees to. So if they youth’s legal guardian is okay with the youth living someplace else until they turn 18 years old, then it shouldn’t be an issue (ie. filing a runaway report or getting the police involved). Of course you hold the power to take away that right at any point and request that she come back home.

    If you want to take it a step further and give them full or temporary guardianship then that would be something that would have to go through family court, but depending on state regulations you might only need to fill out a temporary guardianship agreement (usually found online) and have it notarized. So you might have to reach out to your family court in your county and ask to talk to someone or filing a petition for temporary guardianship.

    This can be something that you can think about and even have a conference with the people that she is trying to move in with to see what they are comfortable with. You might even be able to talk about what you will need in return from your daughter and boyfriend’s family in order to make you feel comfortable (ie. phone calls on updates, visits throughout the year, reports from school, etc).

    We hope that this information helps!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove