No announcement yet.

Im almost 18 and wanting to live with my dad in a different state.

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Im almost 18 and wanting to live with my dad in a different state.

    My parents have been divorced since a time when i couldnt even remember. It has been a custody battle most my life. My dad originally had full custody and he was kind and caring. But slowly my mom got full custody over a span of a year. Since then ive been with my mom (excluding summer and winter visitations). I just started getting contact with my dad again in my early age of 17. My mom is living in Nebraska and is very controlling of what i do (i.e. taking away things that i paid for, yelling at me for simple to no reason, etc.) My dad lives in Montana and during his visitation with both me and my little brother, i would learn and be happy at the same time. Im currently a senior in high school and im gonna be 18 in 2 months.
    Some days my mom would yell at my brother and i could hear it across the house. Ill get stressed and then every night id begin to cry, wishing that i was with my father. But i dont know what to do anymore. What should i do?

  • #2
    You mentioned experiencing emotional abuse which may be reportable against your mom. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.
    We hope this helps. Please reach out if we can offer any further support.
    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove