Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll be 18 in three months, but I need to move out now.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll be 18 in three months, but I need to move out now.

I'll be 18 in October. To get ready to move out, I need to have an ID and my birth certificate. The plan was to ask my mom for the birth certificate and go to the DMV and pay for my ID by myself. I asked her for the birth certificate and she freaked out. She started saying I was stealing things from the family, I was screwing around with my neighbors and when I tried to calm her down, she punched me. She knocked me to the ground and stood on my chest. I have arrhythmia and my heart wasn't beating regularly in the first place. I passed out for a little bit and I woke up to her choking me. I kicked her off of me because I'm not going to allow someone to kill me. I only put enough force to move her off of me, but she acted like I hit her with a baseball bat. She said she had a concussion and that I broke her arm. I didn't call the police then because I was hoping things would calm down by now. Well, things didn't and she started threatening me this morning. I didn't say anything to her because I didn't want to start anything and she called my grandparents. They came up and started to pick a fight with me and attacked me. I was recording the whole thing and I have proof of them hitting me. I called the police after that and they told me to contact child protective services. I did and they said that they're going to see what they can do and get back to me. My grandma started fighting me again and I asked my neighbor if I could come over until the heat dies down. He said yes and I was inside, willingly, and everyone came over. They were threatening my neighbor and me. We both called children youth services while they were freaking out. The operator said that I could legally stay there if the mom said it was okay, but since she was putting up a fight, it could be more dangerous for him. I left so he wouldn't get in trouble. I'm at my grandparents right now. A care worker was suppose to come and decide what to do with me at 4:30-5:00 PM. They haven't showed yet and I don't know what to do. They said I could leave for a while if it was with a relative. Thing is, I don't have any family other than my mom and grandparents. My mom is manipulative, on drugs, she has bipolar depression being borderline schizophrenic, but no one believes me since I'm still legally a kid. Even though I'll be 18 in three months and I'll be living on my own, I don't know what to do in the meantime. Is there any way I can move out or not be here for the next three months? I can't stay with my family. I'm fearing for my life and things like this have happened before. It's not just a one time occurrence. My mom is trying to keep me locked in a room because if I move out, she loses benefits from the government because I live with her. I'm stuck here with no way out. Can someone please help me?

Reply: I'll be 18 in three months, but I need to move out now.

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like things have been quite difficult at home for you.
    We understand that with all that has happened to you your reasons for wanting to leave.
    You don’t deserve to be abused. It sounds like your mother and gran parents have some very serious issues with anger management, drugs etc.
    It is not your fault for the way they is behaving towards you.
    You might consider contacting NRS and using our conference call service to contact the police in your area about the rights of a minor to leave home at 17. In the event you should happen to leave then the next step is making a way for yourself to survive. Have you considered where you would stay and how you might support yourself?

It was very brave of you to contact child services hopefully you will get to speak with a case worker soon. We would be glad to assist you with our services. You might consider giving us a call at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) and let us know how we might be of service to you.
    Does that make sense?

Great job with getting to safety and reaching out for help. Good for you.
    NRS is here to listen and here to help.

Take Care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X