Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im 17 and 7 months and wanting to move out

Hi my name Is XXXXX I'm 17 and 7 months and live I Virginia. I am graduated from high school. I want to move out of my mom and step dads house because I'm tired of fighting with them all the time. My step dad always has something to say about "me doing nothing around the house" and its getting really frustrating. I always do what I'm told to do and sometimes do things without them asking. It feels likes its never enough. My step dad doesn't even ask me to do things he demands and it makes me really mad and i snap back because I have a serious short temper. My mother most always sides with him and says I shouldn't have to be told what to do. I have a part time job and they always compare how they work more than I do and how I'm so much younger than them that I should be able to do it with no problem. The only thing is when I work day shift ill get off around 4 or 5 and they want me to come home and immediately start doing stuff and on my days off they expect me to do everything because "thats what they do on their days off." They get mad when I say that I'm tired when I come home from work because the work so much more than I do and trust me I would work the amount they do if I could find a full time job but no one will hire a 17 year old. I'm just getting tired of being talked to like a dog by my step dad. I don't want to get emancipated because I'll be 18 in October. I came in from work yesterday and about 5 minutes later so did my step dad and I was on the phone with one of my friends when my step dad came up to me and said "Oh you havent started coffee yet?" and I replied with "No I haven't because I just got home not to long ago." Needless to say I ended up putting on coffee for them. My step dad always outs me down saying I won't be able to handle a 40 hour job and how I probably wont be able to make it out in the real world and my mom says nothing. She always chooses him over me. My mother likes to play guilt trips on me trying to get me to do the things she wants. She then expects me to apologize every time we all argue when most of the time her so called fiancé starts the nit picking with me. Can you please give me some answers??

Re: Im 17 and 7 months and wanting to move out

Hi there -

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. Asking for help can sometime be tough, and we’re happy that you’ve taken that first step! We’re glad you contacted us and we will try to help answer your concerns the best we can.

No one deserves to be talked to like a dog and we’re sorry to hear that you’re feeling that way. The emancipation process involves lots of legal proceedings and can take a bit of time, maybe even longer than the four months you have to go until you are 18. Since the age of majority in Virginia is 18, if you left before you turn 18, your parents could decide to file a runaway report with the police. Running away under 18 is not considered a crime, but a status offense (similar to skipping school). If the police were able to locate you after the runaway report was filed, they would be required to return you to your home. We have heard sometimes police officers will not accept or pursue runaway reports on 17 year olds, but this varies a lot by location. You could try giving your local police station a call and ask if they accept runaway reports on 17 year olds.

If you are able to give us a call at the hotline, we could ask a few more questions about your situation in order to best help you. We could also discuss your plan for leaving to help make sure you stay safe and have a place to stay. We are here to listen, here to help. Our 24/7 hotline number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). We’d love to hear from you.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X