No announcement yet.

I'm 18 in MS. Can I legally move out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just turned 18 two weeks ago and I want to move out of my grandparents house. Is it possible for me to move out if I have a disability of speech in Mississippi?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. This is a great question to do some more research about. The age of majority (18 in most states) is the age that you are considered a legal adult and have the legal freedom to choose where you live. The age of majority in Mississippi is 21 which means generally speaking you are still considered a minor and your parents might have final say in where you live. Some counties do not use this to enforce young people who are 18 or older to stay with their parents and do not pursue a runaway report at this age. You can anonymously call the non-emergency number for your local police department to ask about their protocol and if you can leave home at 18.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat (1-800-786-2929; 1800runaway.org) if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options.

I’m 19 years old and currently living in a dormitory. When I moved out my parents gave me the choice to stay here or move with them to Texas and I choose to stay here. However, they said I have to move with them because I’m technically still a minor. Can someone please give me advice on what can I do? I’m not living with my parents and I’m paying my own rent.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like you are in a tricky situation where you are 19 but your state still might consider you a minor if you are in MS, AL, or NE. While the federal majority age is 18, if your state has a higher majority age it is up to local police with whether or not they would consider you an adult if you move out at 19. Since it is up to local police, it can help to better answer your questions by reaching out to your local non-emergency police number and ask if you are allowed to move out at your age, or if you can be listed as a runaway if you do attempt to move.

If you call us here at NRS, we can help reach out to police with you, and we can also brainstorm your options with you: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org. Please know that you are not alone.

Best,

NRS

I’m 19 years old living in a dormitory. I’m paying my own rent but my parents are trying to get me to move with them to Texas even though they gave the choice to stay in Mississippi or move with them and I choose to stay. However, they’re arguing saying I’m technically still a minor until 21. Can anyone please help me? When I lived in my parents place I felt like I couldn’t please them and everything I did wasn’t good enough and I was always depress, so I choose to move out and I’m happier than ever

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like you are in a tricky situation where you are 19 but your state still might consider you a minor since you are in Mississippi. While the federal majority age is 18, if your state has a higher majority age it is up to local police with whether or not they would consider you an adult if you move out at 19. Since it is up to local police, it can help to better answer your questions by reaching out to your local non-emergency police number and ask if you are allowed to move out at your age, or if you can be listed as a runaway if you do attempt to move.

It's clear this all has really taken a toll on you and you mentioned not feeling good enough, and feeling depressed. Those feelings are valid and you deserve to be supported when you are feeling that way. Please know that you can always call or chat us if you would like to talk to someone. You might also reach out to NAMI or the National Alliance on Mental Health 1-800-950-NAMI pr text "NAMI" to 741741.

If you call us here at NRS, we can help reach out to police with you, and we can also brainstorm your options with you: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org. Please know that you are not alone.

Best,

NRS

Hi, I live in Mississippi and I have a couple questions as my right as a 18 year old. My grandparents are very emoitionally abusive and I need a way out. I would like to move in with my boyfriend that lives in Alabama he is 19. I'm aware about the age of majority but if I left when I turned 19 to live with my boyfriend will I be forced to come back home even though I'm looked at as an adult in Alabama. And could he possibly be charged for kidnapping? If I couldn't do this could I now be able to get emancipated if I had all requirements but still was in high school at 18 my senior year?

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline and posting on our public forum. By helping you during your crisis, hopefully there are other youth that are in similar situations can read this for help as well.

As you have probably read on other threads here, we aren't legal experts here and the laws on that specific subject of running away vary from state to state, so our advice would be call your local non-emergency police number to get more information on that. Generally what typically happens in each state is if you are below the legal age of majority (18 in most states except Alabama and Nebraska [19 or upon marriage], and Mississippi [21]), your parents or legal guardian would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away.

Usually the age of majority is from the state in which the youth come from. So given that you are coming from MS, you aren’t considered a legal adult until you reach the age of 21, even you might have certain privileges that most 18 years old have (ie. Signing contacts, voting, etc). It’s a little unclear on what this extended age of majority lets you do and not do. That is why it is best to reach out to your local law enforcement to answer specific questions without any grey area.

We hope that this helped! Best of luck!

I’m 29 live with my parents but get treated like a kid

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      Take care,
      NRS

I'm a parent of an 18 year old in MS. I'm in AZ. He wants to leave because he has been abused in every way by his grandfather. He calls him mentally retarded and also gets on to him about eating. His grandfather is barley in bad health and needs to be in a care inn. My son has graduated out of high school and he was in regular classes also writing a novel. Can someone tell me how can he leave because he is ready.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS. It sounds like this young person is faced with a lot in their current living situation and he feels that leaving is his best option. While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on this.

In most states 18 is the age an individual is able to leave home without permission, however; in Mississippi the age of majority is 21, meaning your child may still be considered a minor. If he leaves home without the permission of his legal guardian, the guardian may have the option to report him as a runaway in efforts to have him returned home. There is a possibility that local law enforcements would not consider him a runaway because of his age. You can call the local police department where the youth is currently living to ask about their protocol for someone who is 18 leaving home without permission.

You can also look into emancipation options. In most states the young person needs to demonstrate that they can support themselves financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you and your child are considering.

You mentioned that his legal guardian may not be fit to care for him. In that case, he does have the right to report any mistreatment or neglect to child protective services. Child Help is an organization that supports young people in dangerous or unsafe situations and can tell you more about how CPS might be able to help. 1-800-422-4453; www.childhelp.org.

You and your son can reach out to our hotline directly by phone or live chat to talk more about his possible options and have us provide legal aid resources if necessary. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
      NRS

i live in mississippi. i will be 18 in july of 2022 and i am adopted. can i legally move out once i turn 18?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.

My mom said she was going to kick me out when I get 18 im 15 and we stay in Mississippi

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X