I'm 18 in MS. Can I legally move out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 18 in MS. Can I legally move out?

My parents are currently in the middle of a divorce and I've been placed in the middle of the fight. My mother controls everything I do by threatening my father. She has kicked me out of the house and I am now forced to live with my grandparents and my father. I don't mind it, but I no longer want her to have leverage over my life. I've become deeply depressed and I cannot stand being in the middle any longer. In the state of Mississippi, can I legally leave and move in with a friend if I am 18, without my mother using it against my father during the divorce? I want to leave asap, but I don't want it to hurt my father legally.

RE: I'm 18 in MS. Can I legally move out?

Hello there –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. Looks like you were able to find and post on our public forum. We hope that helping you through your crisis, there are others that will be able to get help as well by reading through the thread.

Now the laws in Mississippi are a little different than most states. Meaning that while most states the legal age in which you are considered to be an adult is 18, in Mississippi you have to be 21 years old. So the laws might be different from what you can do at that age. So you might be able to move out at the age of 18 and sign a lease, but you might not yet be considered a legal adult. The only way to know for sure of that would be to reach out to your local non-emergency police and asking them hypothetical questions about running away. Knowing some facts about the subject can help you formulate a plan of action and you can see for yourself what would be possible and what isn't possible for you to do.

We would be more than happy to reach out to the police to ask for more information on what would happen. The only thing is that we can't reach out to any other agency or police station unless you are on hold on the other line. This is mainly due to the fact that we are a confidential hotline so without you being on the phone and giving your verbal permission to reach out on your behalf, we won't be able to call out. So if you reach out to us on our hotline and explain that you want to do a CC with the police, we would be happy to help.
    If you give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help you find resources in your area and could potentially help you brainstorm a possible solution to the issues you are having. We would love to talk to you about what has been going on recently that is making you want to leave home. We also have an online chat service available every day.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I'm also 18, in MS, looking for a little help. My parents are going through the same thing and I'm living with my father. Legal custody matters haven't been resolved yet and I've been questioning if I can move out without it interfering with the court system. I understand the legal age of majority is 21 here, but I would like to go about it a different way than the opinion of emancipation. Would a need parental permission from my father in order to do so?
      Call 1-800-RUNAWAY if you are thinking of running from home, if you have a friend who has runaway, or if you are a runaway ready to go home.

Comment

• ccsmod6
        ccsmod6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Sorry to hear you're having a hard time at home with your parents.

Yes, if you want to move out of the house without being considered a runaway and without being emancipated, you would want the parent that you're currently living with to agree to letting you move out. If you think that your parent might change your mind after they agree, it might be a good idea for them to give you something in writing saying that you can go live with someone other than them.

I am 17 and I plan on moving out when I turn 18, I live in the state of mississippi, can I legally move out without parent permission. My parents are divorced and live in different states. I dont like either of them because i get treated like crap and much more...is their any way I can move out and get away the day i turn 18?

Comment

• ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello There,
        Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen to your situation. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now and we are sorry to hear that. In Mississippi the age of majority is 21. What that means is you would not be able to legally move out of your home at 18 years old. If you were to leave home at 18 without your parents’ permission you could be considered as a runaway. We are not legal experts but if the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. You may want to consider where you would stay, what you would do about money, and how you would get food.
        If you would like we can help you look for shelters or transitional living programs in your area, for us to help you would need to call us and provide your city and state. Also we have a conference calling service where if you wanted to talk to your parents we can help mediate the call. If you would like to learn more please give us a call!
        We hope this information is useful in your situation. We wish you the best of luck, and remember to stay strong you are not alone!
        Good Luck
        NRS

I have somewhere to go. But I just cant stay here until I am 18. If I get a recording of my parents saying get out my house legally does that work as "permission" they tell me to get out the house and say if I leave they will call the cops...how would this work

Comment

• ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello There,
        Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help you and we are here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult situation right now. In Mississippi the laws are a little but different compared to the other states in the United States. In Mississippi for one to be considered an adult you must be the age of 21. If you were to leave the home before turning 21 you may still be considered a runaway. You could consider calling your local non-emergency police department and asking them hypothetical questions about leaving the home at 18. By calling your local non-emergency police department you may be able to find answers and develop a plan of action. If you would like to call us we can also call out anonymously on your behalf and ask them questions for you, if you would like. If you do decide to leave home consider having a safe place to go, food, and water. If you have any more questions or would like talk more about your situation feel free to give us a call at any time we are available 24/7. Remember you are not alone and stay strong!
        NRS

Hey im 17 and will be 18 in december.. my moms husband kicked me out and my dad is trying to get custody but i dont wanna live with him either. i live in mississippi, could i live with my sister?

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a rough situation after being kicked out and now your dad is trying to gain custody of you, but you would rather live with your sister. We are not legal or custody experts, so it is really hard to say what your options are based of your post. If you call or chat us, we can look for legal aid resources for you that might be able to better answer your question.

From your post, it is hard to say who your guardian currently is and what options you have available to you. Just so you know, kicking you out with nowhere to go could be considered neglect by child protective services (CPS). If you are interested in reporting the neglect you might reach out to the experts at Child Help to learn more about reporting 1-800-422-4453.

Mississippi is one of the 3 states that has a higher majority age at 21, compared to most states at 18. This means that technically 21 is the age you become a legal adult in the state and can move out without permission. Since the state law is different than the federal law (18 years old), it would be up to how local police interpret law with whether or not you can leave home at 18. If you call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY we can help make that call with you.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you need. We are always here for you.

Best,

NRS

I am 16 years old and plan on leaving my house due to a bad environment and cps doesn't do anything about the situation. Am I able to hide until I'm 18 and not get into trouble

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are planning on leaving and want to know what could happen if you are able to hide until you are 18. That's a good question. We are not legal experts but we can speak generally.

If 18 is the legal age in your state, and you are on the run, when you turn 18 you are generally no longer considered a runaway. We are not sure how it looks in the police's database, however, you typically can call your local police and let them know that you are of age and no longer a runaway, and they will take you off the list. However, if you are found before you turn 18 you could be returned home.

Here at NRS, we are primarily concerned about your safety. Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk through your situation, need resources, or need support: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

Best,

NRS

i’m 18 and i want to live with my 17 year old boyfriend. his dad is completely okay with it but my mom says she will call the cops. is there anything the cops can do about it? and will i have to continue living with her?

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello there, thanks for reaching out today.

In most but not all states, you are considered a legal adult at 18 and can make your own decisions about where you live. So your mom typically would not be able to call police and have you returned home. If you live in Mississippi, Alabama, or Nebraska you might reach out to local police to see if you can move out without being reported as a runaway. Those are the 3 states with higher majority ages than 18, but police might still allow for 18 year olds to move out depending on their local procedures. If you would like assistance calling out to police to verify that you can move out at 18 without being reported as a runaway, please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

We hope this was helpful, please call or chat if you need any assistance: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

Best,

NRS

I was adopted by grandparents and given there last Name I found my real dad on facebook. I live in Mississippi and I turn 18 in sept. If I move to Georga with him and his wife can i be forced back to Mississippi?

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
        While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
        We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
        If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
        Be safe,
        NRS
        Last edited by ccsmod15; 07-07-2019, 03:02 PM.

Hello I'm 19 going through physical and mental abuse from my parents I live in Florida can i move out without my parents permission?

Comment

• ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out! It takes a lot of strength to ask for help. Home is supposed to be somewhere you feel safe and taken care of and it sounds like your parents are not doing that for you. Abuse of any kind is never okay and it is not your fault.
        The age of majority in your state is 18 which means you are a legal adult. As a legal adult you can choose where you want to live and your parents cannot force you to stay at home. If you need somewhere to go, you can reach out to the National Safe Place by texting the word safe and your current location to 44357 for the nearest safe place.

Please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us at 1800runaway.org if you want to talk more about your situation.

Take Care,
        NRS

Hi, I live in Mississippi and my dad recently passed away and I don’t have a mother and so my legal guardians now are my brother in law and sister. I’m 17 and will turn 18 in a couple of months and they are so mean to me and try to tell me I don’t need to date my boyfriend who I have been dating for 2 years. I have been living with them for two months and respect their rules but I talked about moving in with my boyfriend and my brother in law said I wasn’t allowed to go anywhere till I was 21 and it sounds like he won’t sign me over or anything. So when I turn 18 is there any way I can move in with my boyfriend and his family or fight this in court or anything.

Comment

Thank you so much for reaching out to us. Now the laws in Mississippi are a little different than most states. Meaning that while most states the legal age in which you are considered to be an adult is 18, in Mississippi you have to be 21 years old. So the laws might be different from what you can do at that age. So you might be able to move out at the age of 18 and sign a lease, but you might not yet be considered a legal adult. The only way to know for sure of that would be to reach out to your local non-emergency police and asking them hypothetical questions about running away.
        If you give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help you find resources in your area and could potentially help you brainstorm a possible solution to the issues you are having. We would love to talk to you about what has been going on recently that is making you want to leave home. We also have an online chat service available every day.

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hello, I am 18 and i was taken in by my moms sister do i have the legal right to move? I have no parents.

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like you are wanting to move out at 18. Generally speaking, 18 is usually the legal age folks can leave home without permission. However, it looks like you have posted in a thread about Mississippi. Mississippi has a higher age of majority than other states, and you technically do not become an adult there until you are 21. So you might reach out to your local police to know if they follow the federal legal age of 18, or if they follow the state legal age of 21.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk more about your situation. If you call us, we can call out to police with you on the line to see how they would handle the situation.

We truly wish you the best of luck,

NRS

1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org

I live in Minnesota I adopted my granddaughter she just turned 18A few months ago still in school and now wants to be out on her own do I have any legal rights as far as bringing her back home until she finishes school or technically is she able to leave at the age of 18 in do whatever she chooses

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a really difficult situation.

Unfortunately,18 is the legal age you become an adult in Minnesota and be able to make your own decisions like where you live. So you cannot legally force your granddaughter back home. Since she is 18, if she does not follow your house rules, you do have the right to make the difficult decision of whether or not to allow her to continue to live with you without getting in any legal trouble. We know this might not be what you are wanting to hear. Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk more about your situation or need any support. We are always here for you.

1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org

Best,

NRS

I have a son in Mississippi that will be 17 in March of 2020, his grandfather lied on me and adopted him. We went to court, his grandfather lied in court like he was retarded and couldn't take the stand. His grandfather does not allow him to eat well, he is low weight for his age, his grandfather makes him stay in the house, he can never go anywhere, his grandfather is a narcissist and has already make his wife very sick, and he has gotten a neglect and abuse charge from a hospital in MS already. I still have the paperwork. Mississippi allowed him to put a gun in the child's face even though a report at the Ruleville police department was filed and he knew the judge in court and had a lawyer so they let him get by with all of this. Now, the judge is no longer there. I guess that's how Mississippi works. All of this is okay, I guess. Anyway, he is ready to move to Arizona with me, he wants out of there with that man. He leaves his wife with dementia there alone and treats her terrible because nothing happened the other times when he did it and got charged by the hospital. My son suffers because of this lying narcissistic man. This man use to rape me, beat me, and then bought me whatever I wanted to keep me from telling anyone. He hides behind being an Assemblies of God pastor there in Mississippi. What can we do about this kind of situation?

Comment

• ccsmod0
            ccsmod0 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey there,

We are so sorry to hear you and your son have been affected by this man. If your son is at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you or him to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You or your son may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody. If your son did move to Arizona with you, his grandfather may report him as a runaway.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Be safe,
            NRS
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X