Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16 y/o niece wants to runaway with abusive boyfriend.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 y/o niece wants to runaway with abusive boyfriend.

My 16 y/o niece who lives with me because her parents say they can’t have her with them, wants to runaway with her abusive boyfriend. He is also 16 y/o. Last Christmas he beat her up pretty bad, even bit her face. Her mom sign a notarized paper giving me custody of her until she graduates HS next year. But now she wants to runaway to his house. We live in Texas, the boyfriend lives in Philadelphia. What can I do? Her mom is even supporting her decision to runaway. What kind of mother is she, that would have her daughter knowingly run back to an abusive relationship? Any advice?

Hi, thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. It sounds like you are a very kind an supportive aunt. You’ve taken in your niece when her parents didn’t want her. You have taken responsibility for raising her but aren’t getting support from her family in this difficult situation.
    It is sad that your niece believes that her abusive boyfriend is worthy of her. We wonder whether she might be willing to talk to us about her dangerous plan. When youth run and parents/guardians call us, we usually ask whether they’ve gotten in contact with their friends. This might be a way for you to influence her. Maybe you can pass our information to one of her friends asking that she give it to your niece.
    Texas has pretty tough statues regarding runaway youth. You can tell her that you will file a runaway report with the police, as you are obligated to do to avoid being charged with neglect, and the police will search for her. A good resource for you is Team H.O.P.E (Help Offering Parents Empowerment) it is a peer to peer hotline for parents/guardians who have been in similar circumstances. 1-866-305-4675 www.missingkids.org/teamhope
    You are also welcome to reach out to us to talk about this situation. You can reach us via phone at 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-runaway) or with our live chat service through www.1800runaway.org
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Sincerely, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X