Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’m 18 and my mom kicked me out but I was forced to come back.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m 18 and my mom kicked me out but I was forced to come back.

I’m 18 and living in Mississippi. My mom kicked me out a few days ago. But then bout 2 hours later she called the police on me and they forced me against my will to go back to her house. I don’t wanna live there any more because it’s too much stress on me and she’s trying to control every little thing in my life like I’m not even a teenage or 18. I’ve tried to make my own decisions and she always yells at me and threatens to call the police if I leave. I’m scared to leave because I don’t wanna go to jail. She’s also stole from my bank and put her name on my account without me knowing. So she’s taking my money that I worked for. I’ve got a friend that says I can live with him and his parents are ok with it. They are like my second family. What do I do?

Hi there,

We are very sorry this is going on with you right now. You don't deserve to be treated like that at all. Mississippi is an unusual state in that the age of majority is actually 21 (in most states it is 1. This doesn't mean you have no rights, however. We are not sure exactly how local law enforcement would handle your situation, or if you have the right to live elsewhere if you have a safe place to stay. Probably the best thing to do would be to call your local police non-emergency number and ask them if you have the right to live outside your mom's house at 18.Perhaps include in your question that you have a place to live that you feel is best for you. Most likely you would not go to jail simply for leaving home.

As to your mom stealing from you, you could try contacting the bank and asking them how you can prevent this from happening in the future, or to see if you can have her name removed from your account. Or you could even report this activity to the police.

We'd like to see how we can help you further but probably need more information from you. The best way we can help is if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. Take care of yourself and please stay safe.

Good luck!
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X