Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

18 in 3 weeks, i want to leave before the.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 in 3 weeks, i want to leave before the.

Hi! I am turning 18 in about 3 and a half weeks, I have a safe place to go that is much better than home. im supposed to be going to orientation next week for college courses and my father does not approve of me leaving a minute before im 18. I haven't so much been neglected here at home but I am most certainly not being taken care of. I have to buy my own food, personal care items, ect, even after losing my full time job I worked which I had to walk to and home from almost everyday because my parents refused to pick me up or drop me off. I have serious health issues and have not been taken to the doctor, or gotten my medicine in almost 7 months now because nobody will take me besides the friends I made at work which my dad has forbidden me to speak to since I told him I wanted to leave home. I would honestly love to leave tomorrow if I could but I do not want me or my innocent friends (who will be providing a safe place to live and transportation, providing I pay my half of bills which im more than able to provide)to end up in legal trouble due to leaving only a few weeks before 18. I live in Oklahoma and have considered emancipation but I found it pointless considering the process takes 30 days to begin in court.

re: 18 in 3 weeks, I want to leave before then

Hello,

It sounds like you are going through a difficult time at home with your family. From what you shared, we are hearing that you don't agree with how your parents treat you and you want to go live with someone else. You seem like you have thought a lot about your plan. It's good that you are weighing your options out and taking everything into consideration. Especially with emancipation since you will be 18 so soon, it may not be a good idea to try and pursue that. There is the chance that your friends could be charged with harboring a runaway. Your parents can also file a runaway report for you if you leave, giving police permission to take you back if they need to. It may be more helpful to wait those 3 weeks until you turn 18 and then decide at that point if you still want to leave.

Hopefully things work out for you,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X