Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost 18 runaway

I was wondering if you could help inform me on some lawsMy name is Hannah. I'm 17, going to 18 July 11th. I'm absolutely in love with this boy. My father hates him even though he's never given him a chance to get to know him. My dad and I used to be close. But once I became a teen we drifted away. My boyfriend and I have been talking and he's always there for me when my dad yells at me. My family has said that its emotional abuse. I want to move into a house with my boyfriend. His family will support us. I am getting a job. He has one too. He's 20 years old. My dad said in the past that if I go with this guy that he's gonna disown me. He's been a reallt strict parent my whole life and I hardly every get out of the house... we would be staying with his family who will support us. I'm going to college in the fall. Already registered and paid for..

RE: Almost 18 runaway

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We’re sorry to hear that you’re in this predicament. No one deserves to be abused in any way, shape, or form. It’s awesome that you’re in a loving relationship with your boyfriend and that he’s been supportive of you. It’s also good that your boyfriend’s family has agreed to take you in. You mentioned that you’re going to college in fall (congratulations!), how do you think you moving out would affect that? When you turn 18 – your dad will no longer have legal hold over where you live but in the meantime you would need to get everyone on the same page if you wanted to move in with your boyfriend right away. Do you anticipate moving for college? We would love to hear more from you to get a better understanding of your unique situation and be able to better assist you.

Please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-80-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We’re here 24/7 and are completely confidential.

Best Wishes,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Re: Almost 18 runaway

I can go to college straight from that spot. I know that if I leave that he and my family will both freak out and I want to make sure there is nothing that he can do to me or my boyfriend. Also I have three dogs and if I leave I'm afraid of their safety. Is there anything I can do

Comment

RE: Re: Almost 18 runaway

Hello again,

It seems you're set on trying to leave but are still figuring things out. It's good that you're trying to develop a plan that keeps everyone safe. However, as mentioned in an earlier reply from us, we are not legal experts but unless you are 18, your dad still has legal rights over you at 17. He may choose to report you as a runaway or attempt to press charges against your boyfriend and/or his family for what is called "harboring a runaway" which is illegal. The laws vary in every area; and it's often best to reach out to local non-emergency police or the county sheriff's office to learn about runaway laws and consequences. On your 18th birthday, if you leave, your dad would not be able to report you as a runaway minor. You mentioned a concern for safety. If the dogs or anyone is at risk of being harmed, it is encouraged to consult with police.

If you we can help further, we do ask that you chat with us through our website or call our 24/7, free and confidential crisis line at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Take care and be safe,

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X