Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nearly Three Months Until I Turn Eighteen, and I want to move out.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nearly Three Months Until I Turn Eighteen, and I want to move out.

So my birthday is on August 31st and I'll be turning
    eighteen. I live in Oklahoma, though I'll probably be
    leaving to Ft. Smith which is about 3 minutes from my
    house. I haven't any serious issues more recently, but
    nonetheless there are still issues at hand. Despite my
    efforts, it seems as though my stepfather has a certain distaste for me, and even though my behavior hasn't always been particularly admirable, I haven't ever actually been in the wrong. I'm a smart girl, I've got a head on my shoulders that tells me what decisions to make, and a heart that the decision to move out is one that I should
    highly consider.
    My main concern is that my mental health is in jeopardy, see I'm afraid that I suffer from depression and anxiety (undiagnosed but I think it's highly apparent in my case). I'm not suicidal in any way. I haven't ever selfharmed. I am not even the naive type of teen that just up and leaves. There is just a lot at stake, ya know? What if it gets to those points previously mentioned? I suppose the answer that I am searching for is the one that informs me of the legality of my underage transition. My mother would know where I went, and she'd certainly call the police. Though what happens from that point, that is my voncern. If
    you'll please get back to me quickly, I'd be exceedingly
    greatful.

Re: Nearly Three Months Until I Turn Eighteen, and I want to move out.

Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little about what’s going on. It seems there is tension at home with your mom and stepfather which is making it difficult for you to stay at home. We’re sorry you are not feeling supported. Your 18th birthday is coming up in just a short few months which sounds exciting! You seem to be wondering what the legal age of majority to move out is, and that is often 18 in many states. We are not legal experts by any means, but if your mother called the police after you’ve left upon turning the age of 18, police really can’t do anything since you’d be considered your own legal guardian- unless otherwise documented on guardianship papers. The best way to find out age of majority laws in your state is to reach out to a legal aid office or simply your local non-emergency police. If you would like to talk more about what’s going on at home or would like some helpful resources, we would be happy to offer support in any way we can. We often help best through phone or chat.

We hope this helps a bit. Good luck and take care!

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X