Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17, MO, wishes to move out

Hi, I'm 17, female, and will be 18 in 4 months. I have graduated high school and am financially independent as it is. At home I am subject to verbal and emotional abuse from my step father almost daily. I have told my mom about it many times of there years and yet she won't do anything. I have a friend who's parents said I could move in with them and I just wondering if I were to leave could my parents bring me back? What sort of legal issues could I face?

Re: 17, MO, wishes to move out

Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you're ready to put an end to the abuse you're resceiving from your stepfather at home. We're sorry you feel your mom is not supportive of you. You dont deserve to be hurt or put down in any way.

We are not legal experts but can speak in general terms about what may happen. Since you are under the age of 18 you are considered a minor which means your parent(s) are responsible for your care. If you were to stay with friends or somewhere else, a runaway report could potentially be filed by your parents if you refused to go back home. Police may try to take you home or take you in custody if they make contact with you. We aren't sure of any legal consequences as that depends on your state. Additionally, if a report was made, the individual(s) that you stay with could be charged with “harboring a runaway.” Each state varies in regards to laws, and it is often best to contact your local (non-emergency) police department to ask various questions regarding moving away from home. You can call anonymously (or we can try conference calling together) and ask various questions and concerns you may have.

If you would like to talk more or receive any resources for more information, please reach out by phone or chat.

Be safe and take care,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X