Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom wanting to send me off

I am 17, my mom is wanting to send me to Mexico for a month. I do not want to go because I do not know any of her family nor do I speak the language. Can she force me to go?

Re: Mom wanting to send me off

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am 17, my mom is wanting to send me to Mexico for a month. I do not want to go because I do not know any of her family nor do I speak the language. Can she force me to go?

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like there is a lot going on right now, with the pressure you are under from your mom wanting you to leave home and live in Mexico for a month. We want you to know that we are here for you and that you are strong for reaching out. This is a difficult situation and we want to help you with this in any way that we can.

You mentioned that you don’t know any of you mom’s family and that you do not speak the language. That must be very stressful, and it is great that you are reaching out to resources for help in this situation. Maybe talking to your mom about what is going on and sharing your fears with her could be helpful. If you have siblings or other relatives you are close with, they may be able to give advice as well.

We are not legal experts here at NRS, but we do have experience speaking to callers who have dealt with similar questions. Kicking an underage child out of the house, without the child being emancipated, can often be considered child abandonment. This would be a situation of neglect. However, laws regarding this vary on a state-by-state basis and can be situational, so we would need more information regarding your state to help talk you through your options. If you call in, we can look up local legal resources specific to your situation.

If you would like to call our hotline and discuss this with us, we would be more than happy to help you out or to look up legal resources for you that might be helpful. Our hotline number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you would be interested in either of these services. We could also talk about all the different options that you have or you could just vent about what’s happening at home. Sometimes it helps to just talk about it with someone. We’re here for you and we’re here to listen.

Stay Strong,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X