No announcement yet.

leaving house

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • leaving house

    I'm 17 and I'm 4 weeks pregnant I turn 18 in 6 days. Am i aloud to walk out of my house to go somewhere. I live with my aunt and uncle but they are not my legal guardians. And they don't know I'm pregnant either. I plan on telling them on my birthday but I want to leave to my boyfriend's today. Will the police look for me since I'm so close to bej my 18 and I'm pregnant. Doesn't that fall under emancipation?

  • #2
    Re: leaving house

    Hi there,

    Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot of courage to reach out for help but we’re really glad that you did. We’re here to support you the best that we can.

    It sounds like you are thinking about leaving to go to your boyfriend’s house before you are 18 years of age. You shared that you are pregnant but that your aunt and uncle are not aware yet. It sounds like those are the folks that you stay with but they do not have guardianship. We’re not legal experts here unfortunately, but generally speaking, if you leave before the age of 18 without consent from legal guardians, they would have the right to make a runaway report. If a report is made and the police find you, they typically would just bring you back home. Technically speaking, the only people that would be able to make a runaway report would be legal guardians. However, if those are your primary caretakers, it is possible they may be able to make one with police.

    You asked about what falls under emancipation. Again, we’re not legal experts, but generally speaking emancipation can be a bit of a process (6+ months) and can be expensive due to court dates and meeting with a lawyer. It sounds like you are very close to 18, so the chances of the police actively looking for you may be slimmer depending on your city/county/state. You do have the option of calling out to local law enforcement and asking hypothetically what may or may not happen if you leave without consent from current caretakers before 18, if you birthdate is in a few days. Or, you have the option of calling us and we can make that call out either with your or on your behalf at (800) RUNAWAY (786 2929).

    Please, do not hesitate to call or chat to talk more about your situation. We’re here to help the best that we can.

    Stay safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif