Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run away important

I am 17 and i live with my mother. We argue daily and she says she hates me and all she does is mentally break me down. I try to stay calm and our counselor cant help so i plan on running away. I dont want it to go on my record though because i plan on enlisting in the Navy and i dont want that to ruin my future. I live in Louisiana and what ive read online doesnt help me with the police report part bc my morher has theeatened to call tje police next time i leave and i cant have that on me. Will it go on my record even if i let her know im safe. I dont want fo get my friend in trouble though. I have a savings account i have access to so i have money.

Reply:Run away important

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand your concern about not wanting to have something on your record that might hurt you with enlisting with the Navy.
    We are not legal experts that being said you might consider contacting your local police department for information about the runaway laws in your state.
    If you would like to speak more about your situation please give NRS a call at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or live chat with us at www.1800Runaway.org

We hope that things will work out for you.

Take Care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Re: Run away important

I live with my parents and i am a 18 year old girl who graduates high school tomorrow and i want to move out.I have a place to live and love in to this weekend;but my mom said we would have to talk about this before i move out..But i know whats going to happen,we will never talk about it.So since i am 18 i can legally move out without my parents permission right ? Its not like i dont have anywhere to live;i am living with my friend and her mother because home life is just negative and depressing.
      Im much more happier being at my friends house than being at my own house which is sad but its true.Moving out has been an idea since i was 16,but now its a definite since i have a place to live where i can feel more happy and not be sad or in a bad mood all the time like at my house.My parents cant file a police report or have the cops come get me and bring me back to my house if i move out without their permission,right ?
      I mean my mom said before that she didnt mind if lived with her but now shes saying we have to talk about it first;and we probably wont talk about it cuz there always busy.I just want to make sure that i can legally move out since i am 18 and that no one can force me to come back since i am legally an adult.

Comment

Re: Run away important

Hello there,

We’re glad you found us online and felt comfortable sharing your story on our forum. Congratulations on graduating high school!
        We aren’t legal experts; however, our general understanding is that 18 is the age of majority in most states and affords you most legal rights on a federal level (i.e. joining the military, voting, marriage, etc.) If there is nothing preventing you from being a legal adult (such as a disability or mental health disorder), then it is likely you are able to leave home at 18. If you don’t plan on telling your parents you’re leaving they may be able to file you as a missing person. However, if you make it clear of your plans to leave then it might be difficult for them to file a report.
        Things 18+ youth may need to consider are how they will support themselves, secure living arrangements, health, car insurance, etc. and education related expenses. You mentioned you have a place to live at your friend’s house which sounds promising. Not having your mom on board any more though seems like it would be stressful. If you want to talk further about your plan we will be here. Please feel free to reach out through our Live Chat or call 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Good luck!
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X