Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 14 and I need to get out of my house.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod5
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello, thank you for your message. It sounds like things between you and your folks are pretty tense right now. It’s understandable that you would want to remove yourself from that situation. It’s very hurtful for your family to say rude things to you. It could be possible that your family doesn’t realize how their words affect you. One option to consider is family counseling or mediation. Here at NRS, we do conflict mediation by phone, so if you are interested in that we will do our best to help you and a legal guardian have a productive and fair conversation. If you’re interested in family counseling or other resources in your area, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 and we would be happy to connect you with resources.
    It sounds like you’re planning on leaving home and have a safe place you’re planning to go. It’s great that you’ve thought about a plan before leaving as it can be dangerous to leave with no plan. One thing to keep in mind about shelters is that they will need to reach out to your legal guardians. As far as legal issues, we are not legal experts but generally when a minor leaves home without permission, the legal guardians have a right to file a runaway report with your local police. It is a possibility that local police or your family may show up at school, though each police station has its own protocol. Running away is not typically considered a “crime,” and generally you would not face legal consequences beyond being returned home.
    If you have further questions or need support, we are always here at 1-800-786-2929. Stay safe and stay strong!
    --NRS

Guest replied
    I’m leaving my house to go to a runaway shelter my parents are gonna hate me but they say rude stuff to me so why should they be mad right? I’m just scared to go like if they try to take me back from school or something

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are living in in a very difficult environment at home. You have been through a lot and you don’t deserve to be punched, dragged or scratched by your mom. We are very sorry to hear that you’ve tried to commit suicide and wanted to thank you for reaching out to us.

We are here to help so here are some options to consider.

Identify a plan for how to report your abuse. We know you know about hotlines to call to report abuse but are concerned about what happens if someone comes and doesn’t take you out of the house. Here’s what you can do plan for this. Document any physical or verbal mistreatment. If your mom been making any marks on you when she beats you with a belt take pictures. These can be shared with Child Protective Services. Maybe you have a way of secretly making any video or audio recordings when things get physical -- such as with your phone. If not, write down incidents when things get physical and share this information with someone you trust. Once you feel you have some documentation, mention you have this when you do want to officially report your abuse with a hotline like the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453.

Talk to a professional. It’s clear you are dealing with something very difficult at home. You can start with a counselor at school for a confidential talk. Note that if you discuss this physical abuse with this counselor they will be compelled to report it since they’ll know your name and they are “mandated reporters” so by law they have to report this abuse to Child Protective Services.

Also consider ways to protect yourself at home. When you think things will get physical at home, think about a part of the house you can quickly go to stay safe. Maybe there’s somewhere nearby you can go instead. There is also a national program where you can find a “Safe Place” in your area by entering your zipcode on this website: http://www.nationalsafeplace.org/find-a-safe-place or text 4HELP (44357) with your location: http://www.nationalsafeplace.org/txt-4-help/

These are just a few ideas to consider. It takes some courage to reach out to us and we hope this information has been helpful for you during this difficult time. If you would like to talk through this anymore, please don’t hesitate to call us at the National Runaway Safeline. You can reach us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Guest replied
    Hi, I need help i am unsure of what to do about he current situation Im in. I just want to get away from home. Ive already tried running away twice but that hasn't help. At this point im willing to do anything to get away. Ive tried suicide over 3 times. I have cut my self in different areas and cause other self harm. I do this because I hate where I live. My mother is abusive and possessive. For example. I got my phone taken away and I took it back while she was gone and I had the phone for a while. I mostly took the phone to keep in contact with a very close friend of mine that I really care about and she usually helps me through a lot of the stuff I have going on. After a few weeks my mom found out that I had stole my phone back and was talking to my friend that I wasn't allowed to be talking to. Its a long story. But anyways after she found out and she starting beating me with her belt which is normal. But then she started pulling on my hair and dragging me and punching me and scratching me and then she held me up to the wall and started choking me and I could breathe. While she was choking me she was punching me.She has left marks on my face. All because I was talking to someone I wasn't supposed to be and because I had my phone. And this isnt the first time that she has abused me like this. She has threatened to take a bat or a metal pole to my head and beat me with it. She has threatened to kick me out but then doesn't because she wants to keep me hostage.And she has said that she is going to keep locked up in hear as an inmate and make my life miserable. I want to run away again but that approach jus hasnt been working. Please im begging someone for help. I already know about suicide and abusive hotline preventions and all those things but Im really scared to call them because what if they cant get me out of this place. Please I begging.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hi.
    We’re sorry you’re dealing with such a difficult situation.
    Please know your life is valuable and you matter, no matter how your mother makes you feel.
    If you feel like you might hurt yourself in any way please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.
    It’s not easy when you’re not comfortable in your own home, feel responsible for your mother’s emotions, and feel forced to say things you don’t really want to please someone else.
    It’s not right that your mother mocks, degrades and insults you and that you feel trapped by your parents whose job it is to support you.
    We’re here to listen if you’d like some help figuring things out or just want a friendly ear to talk to. We’re sorry you’re going through this and are ready to listen either by phone at 1.800.RUNAWAY or on chat at 1800runaway.org.
    We’re here to help you 24/7 and wish you our best!
    -NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod6; 02-15-2019, 10:49 PM.

Guest replied
    I’m 18 and I’m living with my mom. She has mood swings so much that I don’t say anything around her out of fear. I only say what she wants me to say. She constantly mocks and degrades and insults me. I know I need to get out of here. I’m suicidal and I can’t go back to my dads house because he’s worse. I’m trapped and I don’t know where to go. All of my friends are either in college or living with their parents and I can’t stay with them.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    It sounds like you are in a really difficult situation that is making you feel trapped. It also sounds like you’re making some great decisions in talking with your sister and reaching out to us to discuss your situation.

We are not legal experts, but in most states, the age of majority is 18, meaning that if you leave home before 18, you’ll be guilty of a status offense. It’s not a crime, but what it usually means is that if the police find you they will return you to your parents’ home.

There are some risks of running away to live with a friend or family member without your parents’ permission, though. For instance, it’s rare, but technically it is possible for your friend’s mom to be charged with a crime called “Harboring a runaway.”

You also may want to consider what your parents would do if you did run away. Would they know where you were? Would they go looking for you? If they found you, what kind of trouble would you be in? These are things to consider as well.

Living like Cinderella can cause a lot of stress, which can take its toll on your mental health. You may also want to consider trying to seek some mental health services. Your school should have a therapist or counselor, and if you’d rather not use them, you can always contact SAMHSA, which is the Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration, at 1-877-726-4727 or samhsa.gov. They can help connect you to mental health services in your area.

Again, it sounds like you’re in a difficult situation and you’re attempting to make some really important decisions for your life and your future. We are so glad you reached out and you can always chat with us online at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7 and we’re available to listen and help.

Guest replied
    I think this is anonymous so im just gonna go ahead and spill. my sister and I were adopted into a family of six, making us the seventh and eighth members. The mother birthed two girls and one boy and adopted another long before my sister and I came along. my sister and I have a very very strong bond; shes the only person who really understands me and vise versa. we were never treated the same growing up and we used to be physically abused. Now it is mostly verbal abuse but my sister ran away with her boyfriend....now they live in a different county together, almost an hour away. everyone gets treated so much better than me now... if you think about the movie cinderella, that's what my life is like. (only my sisters aren't really evil). I hate it here and I wanna leave but im only 15. my sister said as soon as she turns eighteen, she'll try to get me out of here but that isn't for another 6 months. I want to go live with my best friend... her mom said she would take me but no way my parents would ever let me.. what do I do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live into a home with so much tension. You deserve to be respected and live in a home where your needs are being met.

It sounds like some of want is going on is neglect (not providing you with necessities like hygiene products, etc.) You also mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. Absolutely no one deserves to be abused. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. It may also be a good idea to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

We want you to know that you are strong for having gone through so much already. It is perfectly okay to deviate from what others or the common population believe to be “normal”. Your bravery and resilience is so admirable. You are so strong for having gone through so much without having the acceptance that you do deserve for just being you. Remember that you are not alone. The LGBT National Hotline could be a resource that can be a source of great support. The hotline is run by those that are familiar with the issues and experiences of those that are also a part of the LGBTQ community. You can reach them by calling 1-8888-843-4564 or you can check out their website at gltbhotline.org.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Iḿ 14 and I have been living with guardians my whole life and throughout these years they have come to start treating me and my sister differently. I live in a house with 12 other people and they chose to pick on other kids and while they treat some like angles and they don't reprimand them for hitting, breaking things, verbally abusing us and multiple other things. My parents will not adopt me and my sister because if they did they would not get a check for us and then to them would just be dead weight. My sister and I have had to buy our own food, our toothpaste, deodorant, body wash etc and when we don't have the money to do buy it and we got to them they tell us that it is not our problem, they yell, abuse, and threaten us when we have our own opinions. I and my sister's parents have died and we get benefits from the government for our needs and all they use it on is themselves and their wants. If we ever have a different opinion or anything like that they threaten us, punish us and hit us so we try to keep quiet. Just recently there was no laundry detergent or anything like that to wash clothes and I asked my mom if she could get some and she told me it was not her problem, I kept trying to tell her that I had nothing to wear to school tomorrow and all she said was you had better find something. The next morning I could not go to school because I had nothing to wear and then she started screaming at me and belittling me all because she didn't do her job of taking care of me. She took my phone which I bought and pay the bill and she also took the tv I bought and so I'm not allowed to leave the house for a month, not to go to a birthday party, not to help my elderly aunt move heavy things to her new house or anything like that. I rarely eat at my house and the only time I eat is when I can't afford my own food and the same goes for my sister. I am gay and I haven't come out to my parents and my family because the mistreatment would only get worse from there, I have other gay family members and they go on and one about how they are going to burn in hell and they are embarrassments to the family and etc. The only person who understands me is my sister and is the only person in the house who I can talk and relate to. I want to go to the counselor but if they see my parents unfit to have kids then all my other sibling would either go to into the system or to their family members but I don't want them to have to go through that. I love my parents but I don't know how much longer I can live in constant fear of them can somebody help, please.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. Because you are being kicked out please know that you can call the cops and they would also be able to help. If not you can give us a call in order to get some shelter information.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 14 I need out of my house my dad is about to kick me out.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. Sounds like you and your mom are having some issues communicating and haven’t been able to see eye-to-eye recently. It must be really hard to live into a home with so much tension. You’ve mentioned that sometimes you take walks to cool down after you have an argument with your mom, it’s great that you figured out a way to help calm down. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    sorry if it doesn't make sense all the way is 3:13 in the morning

Hi I'm 14, the last few month have been difficult, I feel like my life is going down hill. I live at home with my mom, ex step dad and 4 brothers, I "runaway " 3 times over the last few months. My life didn't start getting hard till September, we had started at a new school and this is the year my little brother would start preschool. My step dad would buy my youngest brother candy so he could eat it with his lunch, any ways after a while my mom asked who was eating them and I told her that I had packed them in my little brothers lunch, then she stared yelling and screaming and throwing stuff at me saying that I'm feeding her child bad food. Usually I'm would be calm and apologize but I felt like I was done just taking all the ******** she throws at me, because ever sense my mom and dad got divorced its be her and my all the way through so I hear some bad ******** about my dad and decided to stop visiting him when I was 8. After she saw that I was vary angry she told me to go take a walk out side, so I did but I didn't just go to the park across my apartment I went about 7 blocks away I didn't have a watch or phone on me, but I know it was getting late but I didn't know that my mom had called the police, printed my picture up, told everyone in our apartments that I was missing, and post it all over social media. The second time I was at school, its not actually a school just a group of parent coming together and placing there children in daycare with computers, it was after school and my twin went up to me and yelled in my ear to take tome one to the office. I got upset so I playfully taped my brother on the side of the face. while I was gone, the high school teacher, which wants to be friend with my mom called her telling her the story, when I came back she wanted to talk to me on the phone. I walked down the hall to talk with her and she said that I was assaulting her child and a student and told my to go to the office I got made and left campus and went to the park. while I was there she had my step dad come and try to get my I said no she had to deal with a her own ******** then, she had the principle and I left the park and hid. The last time I left was because she kept not fixing the problems I have with her and just bring in other people. That evening and may time before she threaded to send me to a children's home but now she said that she sending me to live in Mexico so everyone will be ashamed of me and ill be poor and have to work and travel through towns to go to work and school.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X