No announcement yet.

I'm 14 and I need to get out of my house.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I’m 14 and both of my parents are dead. I live with my legal guardian but I don’t want to stay anymore. There so much verbal abuse that has been happening. I have an older sister who is 21 that I can stay with. I have told her I want to stay and she has agree to it. But I don’t know if my legal guardian will let me leave. I don’t want to just leave because I feel as if they will bring me back because it’ll look like I just ran away. My guardian has many health issues both psychical and mental to where she takes medication for it so I can’t use that. There has been a point to where have tired to kill myself, and my guardian told the doctors that I did it for attention so I didn’t get the help I need. I have tried to talk to her multiple times but she turns everything I say against me. I feel like I’m going crazy, I don’t want to be here anymore but I’m scared to leave because I don’t know how she’ll react.


    • ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We appreciate you reaching out and are sorry to hear about the situation with your legal guardian. It sounds very stressful, and you do not deserve to be treated the way she treats you.

      Regarding living with you sister, since you are 14, your guardian can file a runaway report. If your guardian were to file a report, then you could be found by the police and returned home. Also, there are laws about harboring runaways, so while this is rarer, you should know that it is possible for your sister to get in trouble if a report is filed. That being said, if your guardian were to give you permission, then you would be allowed to live with your sister.

      Another option could be filing a child abuse report. If this is something you are interested in or would like to hear more about, we can help you with that. We can even just talk through your options and what could happen if you were to chose to file a report. The Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline is another great resource to talk through your options (

      It is important that you take care of yourself. Talking with school counselor, teacher, or another trusted adult can be super helpful. The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is also a great resource if you’d like to talk about your mental health and the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is another helpful resource.

      We are here to support you 24/7. If you would like to talk in more detail, please contact NRS either by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chatting online through We care about your safety, so if you are ever in an emergency, please call 911.

      We hope to hear from you soon.

      Be safe,

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp