Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 14 and I need to get out of my house.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really need to get out this house

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

So my parents grew up bad and they never had someone to hide them threw life and growing up for them they never learned how to become somewhat caring parents my parents never hurt me but mental abuse me with words and have to here them fight which sucks for me bc I can't learn how to be a good parent bc of them I tell them I can't do this with u guys I had to listen to this since I was born almost they love each other and don't want to leave each other but the things they say is depressing I don't want to hurt my self bc of it I just want to know how do I leave my parents at the age of 12 I have a sister too who also has to go threw it and I don't know what to do I do want to live them but not foster care where I can't see my family I want to see my family just not them bc they might say promise we won't fight or call names but it happens again I told family members that I want to live with them but they don't understand what pain I go threw I go to church sometimes with my other family and they pray for me but I don't know what to do what do u think

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

We are sorry to hear you are going through such a rough time at home. It's definitely difficult to hear your parents argue. And, of course, it's totally not right that they are mentally abusing you. It makes sense that you would want the situation to change.

Of course, at 12 you are still under your parents guardianship. One possibility is that you can ask them for permission to live somewhere else that is safe and nourishing for you -- perhaps with extended family. Of course, you could also file an abuse report on the abuse you are going through. That would lead to an investigation that may eventually lead to you being separated from your parents. But whether or not you file is totally up to you. We never tell anyone what to do.

We'd like to help further but need a bit more information from you to see how we can assist you. The best way for us to do that is if you call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us via the portal at www.1800runaway.org. We can work with you to figure out what you'd like to do.

Please stay safe and take care!
      NRS

Im 14 and dont want to stay with my mother anymore what can i do to leave ?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through some stuff and we want to support you. Whether or not you feel like you need to run away is up to you and whether or not you feel safe where you are. We would be happy to help you in whatever way we can. We can provide referrals to mental health resources, shelters, legal advocacy, among other things. We can also just talk you through whatever your situation is and help you figure out what your options are. We aim to empower youths and we prioritize their safety and their well-being. If you are interested in anything that we have to offer or talking about what options you have, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

I’m 14 years old my parents are always fighting my dad has been on drugs for the longest time but now says he’s not anymore but it’s obvious he is my mom is always moving us back and fourth from grandmas house back to my dads house my mom is always yelling at me for nothing my brother is a year younger then me and has autism he is always hitting me throwing things at me and i get in trouble for saying something or crying I have a cousin that I usually stay with because my mom moved back to my dads house and I refused to go so i stayed with my cousin but my mom is trying to make me move back and I don’t want to because I don’t like it I don’t like the environment I get treated horribly and my cousin is 23 I think she’s married and has 2 kids her and her husband told me if I found a way to stay with them I could with no problem but my parents will say no so I need help where I can stay with her without having to get permission from my parents what do I do

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. You’ve been brave and are very smart for finding us and asking for help with a really hard situation.

It sounds like your dad has been on drugs and you don’t believe him now that he says that he is not, and that has been something scary and unpredictable in your life. Along with moving back and forth and your mom yelling at you and your brother’s behavior towards you, It is understandable that you want to be with your safe and stable cousins. Being treated this way is not fair and we are sorry that you are going through this.

One thing to ask your cousin is if she can work with your mom and negotiate this situation. If your cousin can offer a compromise with your mom, maybe you stay with them during the week and with mom on weekends, or the other way around, that might be a way to help your mom feel like she is still in control of the situation and to give you some relief from the stress you are under. Maybe asking you grandmother to help talk to your mom might help too. Thinking about the timing of this conversation between your cousin and your mom is important. If she’s in a moment where she’s really stressed out, waiting for a more peaceful moment will help things go more smoothly.

We also offer a conference call service where you call us we talk with you about your situation, and then we would call your mom and we act as your ally and advocate to help to work on a compromise in this situation.

In the end, it is your mom or dad who have to give their permission for you to stay with your cousin, so talking with the adults around you to help you talk with her is a good strategy.

You can reach us by phone just to talk this over or to talk more about the Conference Call at 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-RUNAWAY) or through our live chat service via www.1800runaway.org

We hope to hear from you soon.

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X