Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 14 and I need to get out of my house.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this is anonymous so im just gonna go ahead and spill. my sister and I were adopted into a family of six, making us the seventh and eighth members. The mother birthed two girls and one boy and adopted another long before my sister and I came along. my sister and I have a very very strong bond; shes the only person who really understands me and vise versa. we were never treated the same growing up and we used to be physically abused. Now it is mostly verbal abuse but my sister ran away with her boyfriend....now they live in a different county together, almost an hour away. everyone gets treated so much better than me now... if you think about the movie cinderella, that's what my life is like. (only my sisters aren't really evil). I hate it here and I wanna leave but im only 15. my sister said as soon as she turns eighteen, she'll try to get me out of here but that isn't for another 6 months. I want to go live with my best friend... her mom said she would take me but no way my parents would ever let me.. what do I do

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      It sounds like you are in a really difficult situation that is making you feel trapped. It also sounds like you’re making some great decisions in talking with your sister and reaching out to us to discuss your situation.

We are not legal experts, but in most states, the age of majority is 18, meaning that if you leave home before 18, you’ll be guilty of a status offense. It’s not a crime, but what it usually means is that if the police find you they will return you to your parents’ home.

There are some risks of running away to live with a friend or family member without your parents’ permission, though. For instance, it’s rare, but technically it is possible for your friend’s mom to be charged with a crime called “Harboring a runaway.”

You also may want to consider what your parents would do if you did run away. Would they know where you were? Would they go looking for you? If they found you, what kind of trouble would you be in? These are things to consider as well.

Living like Cinderella can cause a lot of stress, which can take its toll on your mental health. You may also want to consider trying to seek some mental health services. Your school should have a therapist or counselor, and if you’d rather not use them, you can always contact SAMHSA, which is the Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration, at 1-877-726-4727 or samhsa.gov. They can help connect you to mental health services in your area.

Again, it sounds like you’re in a difficult situation and you’re attempting to make some really important decisions for your life and your future. We are so glad you reached out and you can always chat with us online at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7 and we’re available to listen and help.

I’m 18 and I’m living with my mom. She has mood swings so much that I don’t say anything around her out of fear. I only say what she wants me to say. She constantly mocks and degrades and insults me. I know I need to get out of here. I’m suicidal and I can’t go back to my dads house because he’s worse. I’m trapped and I don’t know where to go. All of my friends are either in college or living with their parents and I can’t stay with them.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi.
      We’re sorry you’re dealing with such a difficult situation.
      Please know your life is valuable and you matter, no matter how your mother makes you feel.
      If you feel like you might hurt yourself in any way please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.
      It’s not easy when you’re not comfortable in your own home, feel responsible for your mother’s emotions, and feel forced to say things you don’t really want to please someone else.
      It’s not right that your mother mocks, degrades and insults you and that you feel trapped by your parents whose job it is to support you.
      We’re here to listen if you’d like some help figuring things out or just want a friendly ear to talk to. We’re sorry you’re going through this and are ready to listen either by phone at 1.800.RUNAWAY or on chat at 1800runaway.org.
      We’re here to help you 24/7 and wish you our best!
      -NRS
      Last edited by ccsmod6; 02-15-2019, 11:49 PM.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X