No announcement yet.

I need to get my friend out of her abusive home

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need to get my friend out of her abusive home

    My best friend's father physically and emotionally abuses her and her brother. We're making a plan for her to get out at the end of the month. As it stands were going to wait until both her parents leave for the day and I'm going to go pick them up and bring them back to my house and file a cps report. she doesn't want to be placed in foster care and split up from her brother though and there's a huge foster care shortage in our town. My dad could take her in and her brother could probably find a friend to take him in. The biggest problem is we both have a major medical problem (the same one) and if she has a gap in her insurance she won't be able to get coverage for it for the rest of her life. What happens if her parents kick her off their insurance when they find out she reported? Would the courts let her stay with me? She turns 16 next month and her brother is 13. I really just can't let her stay with them even though she's willing to stay because she's so afraid of the backlash from them, especially if they put back in her home.

  • #2
    Reply: I need to get my friend out of her abusive home

    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

    We are sorry to hear about your friend and her brother being caught in an abusive situation at home. They do not deserve to be abused nor is it their fault that this is taking place.
    It is nice that you and your family want to be supportive with helping them to file a child abuse report and possibly take at least one of them in. That being said.
    Most states have laws against aiding or harboring runaways.
    You might want to consider looking into any legal consequences from aiding a minor (s) in these acts.

    We would be willing to assist her or the brother with contacting CPS to get more information on the procedures following an abuse report being filed.
    This could be done by NRS contacting CPS in her area and asking about the child abuse laws and procedures. We can also ask about placement of the youth with family, friends etc.

    Once a report is filed an investigation should follow but there is no guarantee the children will be removed from the home.
    This might be useful with helping her look at her options.

    In regards to her medical coverage unfortunately we are not experts on medical insurance.
    Generally when a child or children are removed by the state from their parent’s home and guardianship they may be placed in foster care or a group home. It is then usually the burden of the state to tend to the basic needs of the child or children including health care coverage.
    Does that make sense?

    We are here to listen and here to help.
    You or your friend are welcome to call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) to talk or try to connect through referrals of services in your area.

    Take Care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif