No announcement yet.

i need answers,

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ccsmod3
    Re: i need answers,

    Thank you for taking time to share your situation with us at the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like you are having a difficult time at home right now. It must be hard to feel as though you cannot go anywhere. You mentioned fighting with your parents and that your dad is an alcoholic. You sound like a strong person to endure all of that. How have you coped so far? What kinds of things can you do to feel better or to take your mind off some of these issues you have described? Do you have some sort of outlet that allows you to spend time away from this situation?

    You mentioned wanting to find out information on shelters. Shelters for minors generally fall under the category of runaway shelters for youth. In most states it is not considered illegal to runaway; however, most states recognize it a crime to harbor a runaway. What this generally means is that if you stay someplace where your parents do not agree, that person or people could potentially get in trouble. Because of this, shelters are generally required by law to gain parental consent and/ or notification anywhere from immediately to 72 hours. If you left to go to a shelter, how do you think your parents would react if someone called them for consent or just to notify that you were staying there?

    You also asked what shelters provide and what they don’t provide. Specific services can vary from shelter to shelter, but usually they provide a safe place to sleep and other basic necessities. We have provided the number and website to a local shelter below. According to the website, this shelter provides emergency shelter for runaway, homeless, and other youth in crisis up to age 17. It says that youth can stay for up to 14 days, but the shelter itself should be able to provide more details for the kinds of services it offers.

    The Relatives Crisis Shelter (through the Alexander Youth Network) ... tives.html
    24 hour Youth Crisis Hotline 704-377-0602

    You brought up the idea of emancipation, but it does not seem as though you feel that is an option for you at this time. If you do decide this is an option, we have provided the contact information for your state. We are not legal experts here, but emancipation is generally an involved process through the court system that involves being able to financially support yourself, stay in school, and a rejection of parental supervision and support.

    Children’s Law Center
    8:30am-5:00pm Mon. to Fri.

    Besides shelters and emancipations, what other options do you feel you have? Is there a family member or trusted adult where you think your parents would agree to have you stay? We cannot tell you what you should or should not do, but if you would like to discuss any of these issues further, we would be happy to come up with options should you decide to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are anonymous, confidential, and are available 24/7. We hope that our response can be of help to you and wish you the best of luck.


    Leave a comment:

  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest started a topic i need answers,

    i need answers,

    i am 15, about to be 16 in less than a month, and i need to find someplace to stay.
    my parents are driving me off the wall. their attitude towards me has completely changed in the past month and i don't know what to do.
    they have taken my cellphone, won't let me go anywhere, and we are constantly fighting 24/7.
    i am homeschooled, and even though i do 4 hours of it a day like i am supposted to, they tell me its not enough and i dont deserve my phone or any of my privledges.
    they are also verbally abusive, and when i try and defend myself they lash out at me. my dad is an alcoholic and wont get help. my mom backs him up and everything he does and says to me.
    they also think im going to hurt them, and that makes me extremely angry because im not an idiot and i would never try and kill someone, considering you can go to prison for that s** (edited for language). they tell me they are going to send me to reform school, and i AM NOT going there.
    i have no money and no car, and i only have my permit.
    i do have a workers permit though, so i can get a job.
    i need to get some information on shelters in my area.
    i live in Charlotte, NC.
    i dont think i can become emancipated right now, considering i would need to be able to support myself and i cant do that at the time.
    tell me everything i can do that will help me successfully live on my own,
    and pleae tell me all the information on shelters and what they provide and what they dont provide.

    thank you so much.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp