•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hello,
    Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline.
    First off, it’s great that you’re reaching out to us to get some information on your situation before taking any action. That can be hard to do.
    I’m sorry that you have to deal with family issues that are difficult and the cause for you wanting to leave your family. That sounds very challenging. Regarding running away, if you’re a minor, which you are until 18 (although it does depends on the state you live in), your legal guardians, (parents usually), have responsibility for you in the eyes of the law. Therefore, if you run away, your parents would likely file a runaway report to the police. The police would then look for you, and when they find you, they would return you to your legal guardians. Further, an orphanage wouldn’t just take in a youth without first investigating the situation and making sure that there are no legal guardians that the child would need to be reunited with.
    Other options involve investigating whether you can live with another family (e.g. other relatives, friend’s families), with your parents’ permission. If your parents are in agreement, you could have alternative living arrangement documentation signed by both the other family and your parents giving permission to this arrangement. Your school counselor can help you with the documentation needed for such an arrangement. Finally, the more complicated legal issue is emancipation from your parents. This is a more drawn out legal process that involves going to court. You would need to retain an attorney to represent you and this takes several months.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to call the Runaway Safeline at 1-800-786-2929. We are here 24/7 and all calls are anonymous. Thanks for reaching out.
    National Runaway Safeline

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Idk what to do I want to get away from my family,what do I do???

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you contacting us. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You can contact us if you would like to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m someone who doesn’t love their family and wants to leave for good

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there. We want to help but need a bit more information from you to do so. Please give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us by clicking on the chat feature at the top of our webpage: www.1800runaway.org. We can discuss trying to track down your caseworker so you can find a place to stay. We also have shelter resources around the country that might be an option for you.

We hope to hear from you soon!

Guest replied
    Hey, I'm 16 old and I don't have any parents or guardian and I need some place to stay, help me please I am alone

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are being blamed for things that you haven't done and your mom gets mad and it is really taking a toll on you. That cannot be easy. Here at NRS, we truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time.

You mentioned that you dream of suicide. It takes a lot of strength to reach out for help, and we are so glad that you did. Your life has worth and our top priority is your safety. If you feel this is an emergency you could consider calling 911 for emergency assistance. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at www.youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time. You can also call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you need to talk.

If you haven't already, you might try to talk to your mom about how you are feeling. You so deserve to be heard and to get the help you need. You might see if there is anyway you can see a counselor to talk about how you are feeling.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Guest replied
    I'm only 10 and I want to run to a orphanage BC my mom gets mad for no reason I say it wasn't me BC it wasn't me she says it's always not me and it's got to the point were I dream suicide :/

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod11
    Hi, and thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). You mentioned wanting to get away. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home.

If you'd like to talk in more detail about your situation and where you may be able to go, or have any questions please call 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us (www.1800RUNAWAY.org) as we can best help by phone or chat. Best, NRS

Guest replied
    Please I want to get away from this dump I don’t know where to go

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I'm 15 and my mother don't want me near her, she hits me , say things about me being not worth to her , and she threatened me by saying that When I'll turn 16 she will kick me out of her house. Please helhelp me

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension - it's not OK for your parents to say such cruel and hurtful things to you. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 13 and my dad just said he'd be overjoyed if I wasn't his daughter, and my mum said she wanted to kill herself being my mother. I really want to get out of this life somehow. What should I do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. You made a great first step to finding the help that you may need. It sounds like you are going through a lot and the people around you are not being supportive. You deserve to be treated with respect, to experience acceptance and to feel safe.

We want you to know that you are strong for having gone through so much already. It is perfectly okay to deviate from what others or the common population believe to be “normal”. You’re bravery and resilience is so admirable. You are so strong for having gone through so much without having the acceptance that you do deserve for just being you. Remember that you are not alone. If you ever want to talk more about what you are experiencing or get additional support we are here 24/7 at 1800-RUNAWAY or our live chat service. The GLBT National Hotline at 1888-843-4564 is another option to gain great support from those that are familiar with the issues and experiences of those that are also a part of the LGBTQ community. You can access their website link bellow to utilize all the other possibly useful resources they have to offer: http://www.glbthotline.org/

You mentioned that you were considering the options that may be best for you. By all means, if you do fear for your safety either now or in the future, do not hesitate to take the necessary steps to regain your safety. This may mean calling the authorities or possibly reporting the things you may be experiencing. Other options to think about may be other family members, friends, or a trusted adults that would be able to provide you with support or a safe place to stay. It is great that you thinking ahead. Should you feel like leaving home is best, it may be a good idea to think about how you will provide necessities for yourself such as food, clothing, showers, healthcare and other basic needs. You may want to also consider how your parent’s will react to you leaving without permission. We are not legal experts here, but typically as a minor (under the age of 1 you need permission from your parents to leave home. It is not illegal to runaway, but it would mean that your parents could file a runaway report with the police. This is usually done in an effort to try to return you home as the police are required to do so.

If you can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or reach out through Live Chat we can try to find some youth shelters that may be near your city and state by utilizing our database of resources. We can also try to call out to shelters with you or on your behalf to advocate for you.

Stay Strong,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X