•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod2
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot right now and we want you to know that you are not alone.
    We are not legal experts but we do have some information on running away. If you were to leave home without permission your legal guardian could file a runaway report, and if the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. If you were to runaway to an orphanage they would also contact your legal guardian or the police.

We would like to help you further with your situation but we would need more information on what is going on. We are available 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you. Best of luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am 12 and want to run away from home and go to an orphanage. Would that be a good idea to cause I have to leave this place and thats my only option

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi! Thanks for writing to us at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you and your family are going through a challenging time, and we’re glad you found us as a resource. We know it can be difficult to reach out for support so it was brave of you to contact us.

If you are unsafe or experiencing abuse at home, you can call 911. You have the right to report abuse to a teacher or school personnel (they are mandated reporters) or to Child Protective Services (CPS). You also have the option to call Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org which is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to the situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

We have a database of resources if you are interested in knowing what supports are in your area. If you would like to talk in more detail or explore options in real time, please call us at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the CHAT button). Much support, NRS

Guest replied
    im 11 about to turn 12 and my parents dont trust me they go through my stuff 24/7 and my mom slaps me when she gets really mad and its starting to scare me im planning to run away but i dont know what i will need where to go and i dont want to get caught. i dont know what to pack where to go but all i know is i never wanna be found i just want to go to an orphange and get adopted but i dont know where the closest one to me is please help me
    Last edited by ccsmod1; 12-07-2020, 01:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi im 13 and I want to run away as soon as possible. I did some research and apparently orphanages let kids stay until they are 17 or 18. The stuff that happens at home is pretty minor, like getting hit on the head, getting slapped, or just getting pushed. Once i am 17 I hope to join the military. Will a orphanage accept a runaway kid or are there other options?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through some intense stuff and we want to support you. Whether or not you feel like you need to run away is up to you and whether or not you feel safe where you are. We would be happy to help you in whatever way we can. We can provide referrals to mental health resources, shelters, legal advocacy, among other things. We can also just talk you through whatever your situation is and help you figure out what your options are. We aim to empower youths and we prioritize your safety and your well-being. If you are interested in anything that we have to offer, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hey I am 17 and I want to run away from home

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello, I’m 13 and I want to run away from my dad he’s trying to send me to Haiti a dangerous country and not send my mother any money, and this is with all of my siblings, he verbally and physically abuses us. And I just wanna run away, then get wherever I’m in to get my siblings, and if I do try to give me to a close relative is there anything that I can do to not get out with that person?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Thanks for reaching out to us. It seems like there must be some stressful things going on at home for you to be thinking about running away (even if your parents would not seem bad to other kids-it is your experience that matters). We are a non-directive agency; that means we won’t tell you what you should or should not do. We will help you figure out a plan that is best for you and feels right for you. There are a lot of things to consider making a plan to runaway and setting up an alternate living arrangement. We can talk through all those with you as well as explore other options you might want to consider before running away. We would like to talk with you and you can reach out to us anytime 24/7 on our confidential phone hotline at 1 (800) RUNAWAY or on a confidential chat through our website. We are here to help you and your reaching out is a courageous first step. Good luck.

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    If ADHD is a personal struggle for you it might help to get an official diagnosis from a mental health professional. It might be a good starting point to talk with a counselor at school about it. Another good resource for learning about mental health is https://nami.org/Home
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello, I am 12 yrs old, and people my age would say my parents aren't the worst, but I think I have ADHD. I was planning on running away to New York because there's an orphanage there(actually tons). Should I go out, Google Maps says it takes 2 weeks and 4 days. Should I run?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi, I was planning on "moving out" of my house and move to an orphanage up in New York, NYC, and I'm 12. My parents wouldn't seem bad to other kids but should I run away? I planned on doing it today.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. Please know that it is not okay for anyone to abuse you. It was brave of you to contact us, and we will do our best to support you. You stated that you have been abused since you were three years old. You do not deserve to be treated this way. A resource that might be beneficial is the Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline. This is a 24-hour hotline with resources to aid in child abuse situations. You can call or text 1-800-422-4453. Their website is https://www.childhelp.org/childhelp-hotline/. You also mentioned that you have a plan to run away. Your safety is important to us, and we are available here at the National Runaway Safeline to talk to you more about your situation. You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or we can live chat with you via instant message. Our website is https://www.1800runaway.org/. It took a lot of courage for you to reach out for help, and we are proud of you for doing so. We are available 24/7 to help and support you.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X