No announcement yet.

I am 14 and want to runaway to an orphanage

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hi I'm 14 turning 15 my parents are super super strict I feel as if I'm locked up most of the time. The only way I'm contacting is because I'm supposed to be doing homework since I'm not allowed to have contacts with anyone and everything is blocked but somehow this wasn't. My mom might just end up fighting me so I'm hoping to get a quick response, I really don't wanna ruin away but I hate it here constantly drowning in depression and being yelled out I'm so lonely sometimes it even feels like neglection and yes I still do get fed their just very... strict you could say so is their anyway I could get a new home without running away? I'm not sure if I'm able to call do to how blocked and secure the computer is but please if there's a chance I will take it I don't wanna stay here or be sent back here and I once tried to call the child services but my mom caught me and she was filled with rage saying its gonna take all her kids away and not just me what do I do? She wont give me up to me dad and i'm sure if we went to court he wouldn't be able to take me anyway due to his background history and abandoning me.


    • ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out it shows a lot of courage. No one should have to deal with what you are experiencing alone. Reaching out to someone like teacher or school consular could be a good place to start. They might be able to give you local resources without you having to use a computer or phone. If you feel that you are in immediate danger you can always use National Safe Place text SAFE and your current location (address, city, state) to 4HELP (44357) for immediate help and it will give you the closest safe place in your area. Another option is to contact the police as well if you feel that you are in immediate danger. Child Help is another option as well their hotline offers crisis intervention, information, and referrals to thousands of emergency, social service, and support resources. All calls are confidential. You can reach Child Help at (800) 422-4453 or at Its important to remember during this process that you are not alone and that you can always reach out to us. We are always here to listen and support you and help with resources. We are 24/7 and can be reached through or chat or phone at National Runaway Safeline - or 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

  • Hey I don’t really feel wanted in my family and have been think about running away for a while now I think I’m gonna do it. Btw I’m 12.


    • ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,
      Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are glad that you are reaching out for help. It sounds like you are going through an extremely difficult time right now with life at home with your stepmom. We are sorry to hear that home isn’t a place where you feel supported and loved. It sounds like you are trying to obtain some independence, but this has been challenging. While we do not blame you for wanting to leave the situation, we do want to mention some things so you can make the best decision for you.

      You mentioned thinking about leaving home. We are not legal experts here at NRS, we can do our best to offer some suggestions about your question of leaving home before turning 18 years old: If you go to stay at a friend’s house without parental permission for over 24 hours (the exact timing depends on which state you live in), you parents could potentially file against your friend’s parents with something called “harboring a runaway.” This is a legal term for kidnapping. Might sound extreme, we understand. If your parents don’t know this friend and do not know where to look, they could also file a missing child report to their local police department. Law enforcement will collect basic information about you that will go into a national database, and they can then return you home in the event you are found.
      That being said, we can offer temporary youth shelters orphanages in your local area, but given your age, your parents may still need to consent for you to stay there. If you call us (1-800-RUNAWAY) or reach out via chat at, we’d be happy to provide those resources for you.

      We are sure you have considered this, but sometimes it helps to share with a friend, family member or even school counselor about what life is like for you at home. Another idea is to consider if there is anything that you can change right now to reduce time spent at home. Perhaps, join an afterschool program or sports team to reduce the number of hours you have to be home or find an activity or even job that could give you more freedom and less time spent at home.

      If you still do decide on leaving, we want to acknowledge that it’s great you are prepared with bags and clothing. One thing you may want to think about is what else would you need if you were to leave home? Any medical records, identification documents, birth certificates, etc., that may be helpful to have for the future if you do not return home. If you take medications, perhaps bring them with you as well as any other valuable items that are yours. We’re sure you have already thought all this out, too, but if you do decide to leave, perhaps tell a trusted friend or relative of where you intend to go and please be cautious and place your safety as utmost priority (if you ever feel unsafe, you can text the word “safe” to 4HELP (44357) to receive a message of the closet Safe Place to go.

      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. If you would like to talk more in detail or have us reach out to a resource with you, please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button). If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

      Be safe,

  • Hi, I’m 14 years old and I’m planning on running away.
    I have a lot of things figured out (I think).
    My plan is to find someone that can rent an apartment and become roommates with them (wether or not we need to split the rent).
    I think this might work because there isn’t anything illegal about it (I think).
    My friends all have great families and none of them wanna move out so I guess I’m just gonna have to figure it out on my own.
    I have 2 problems (or at least hopefully only 2), the easier one is that I don’t have much money.
    where I live there aren’t any jobs for underage people, (which I guess works out for other kids since their families are great).
    Technically there are jobs but you would need to drive for like 2 hours.
    I have like 1,500 dollars and I am aware that that’s not enough money, considering the only job I’ll be able to work where I’m moving out to is a minimum wage job at best (also if the person I’m moving out with wants to share rent, then in that case money is also a problem).
    Money can only last for so long, you know.
    I try to ask my parents for “lunch money” and other things, meanwhile that money is being saved.
    anyways that’s pathetic.
    I am aware that I’m trying to make something work but it ain’t working
    I need some more money and I’d like to know more ways to make some quick cash as a 14 year old.
    I didn’t mention that my plan is to move out at 16, I think the reason for that is that at 16 you’re seen more as an adult, also you only have to stay in school until you’re 16 which might make my situation easier and it would also give me time to prepare myself with money and the best plan I can ever have.
    and once I have that I’ll know that I can always leave, I would always have somewhere to go.
    so my second problem (and the biggest one) is school.
    I do not know what my options are.
    like how do these 9 year olds get out of school so easily meanwhile it’s the most complicated thing for me.
    I can’t even think what possible solutions would be, like if I still have to go to school how do I do that on my own.
    will my parents have to keep paying for schools?
    will I be off the hook and just will not have to attend school?
    will I be able to enrole myself in a school?
    if so what would that look like for me?
    would I have to pay by myself (genuine question)?
    the problem is that I can’t look it up because I live in Israel and everything I’ve seen was about the United States.
    Because Israel is a very small place there wasn’t much information I could find about this.
    I also have to mention that I have no problem with not going to school.
    my parent will not let me drop out, though.

    I think I gave a lot of information about my situation and I hope that if you read this I gave enough details.

    so please, criticise my plan away, give me advice, solutions, anything.


    • ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, we are thankful that you reached out to us. It sounds like you have probably been feeling unhappy for a long time, and like the people in your life meant to take care of you haven't been making you feel loved or supported. That's not fair to you, and it makes sense if you're feeling sad, angry, or want to run away. You deserve to feel taken care of.

      Most of our knowledge applies to the programming / systems that operate in the United States. We are unfortunately unable to answer most of your questions regarding work, school, and finances, but we would like to connect you with some other people you can contact who should be able to provide you with more insight.

      The Israel Emotional First Aid hotline may be able to assist with a lot of your concerns.
      Their phone number is 1201, and their website is:

      We also found two distinct numbers for women in crisis, and men in crisis:
      Women: 1202
      Men: 1203

      Hopefully these organizations are able to provide more specific information in regards to your concerns. If you still aren't able to find the help you are looking for, contact us again, and we can try our best to support you. It may be in the form of emotional support, rather than specific directions/answers/advise. You deserve to feel supported and taken care of, and we are on your side.

  • Help, I my mom is really rude, and maybe abusive because she is always harassing me for things my siblings did and makes me sleep on the floor. I feel like running away but it’s illegal, and I just really want to cry.


    • ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, We are glad you reached out to us. It makes sense you feel like running away when you are always being harassed and blamed. It must feel like you have no agency or understanding with your Mom. Just so you know, it is not illegal (and not a criminal offense) for a youth to runaway. It sounds like you could use some help and support in deciding what to do next and figuring out if running away is your best/safest option. We would like to discuss your options and perhaps some options for your siblings knowing more about your specific situation. We may be able to help you contact resources in your area that can help support you. You can reach out to us for a chat through our website or on our crisis hotline at 1(800) RUNAWAY. Both are available 24/7 and are completely confidential. NRS is a non-directive agency. That means we help you come up with your best/safest plan and we get you in touch with the programs/resources in your area to help you. We hope to hear from you soon. Good luck, NRS

  • HI, i am 16 years old and my parents are very abusive emotionally and physically. One time she left a black eye on my face, and im scared to reach out because she threatens to send me to jail due to one time she was throwing pans at me and i was putting hands on my face which deflected on of the pans in her heel. Im very scared and i am thinking of running away.


    • ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

      Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We really appreciate you reaching out as we know it takes a lot of courage. 

      We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing emotional and physical abuse at home by your parents. Their behavior is not okay and you do not deserve to be treated like that. One option is to file a child abuse report. If you are interested in this path, we can help you fill one out. We cannot promise the result of a report, but Child Protective Services would review your case and then potentially investigate. You could then be removed from your home. Another option could be living elsewhere such as another family member’s house with the permission of your parents. We can discuss other alternative options if you choose to runaway. 

      It is very important that you remain safe. It is also important that you take care of yourself. Talking with school counselor, teacher, or another trusted adult can be super helpful along with other coping mechanisms. You can listen to music, journal about what is going on, exercise, take a walk, draw, or just do an activity that makes you feel good. 

      Please contact NRS either by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chatting online through to discuss in more detail. We can help you work through some options. 

      We hope to hear from you soon.

      Be safe,


  • im 16 and i want to runaway from home


    • Hi, thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It seems like you reaching out for help and informing NRS that you thinking about running away. That's brave of you to express how you feel. For further assistance, please feel free to contact NRS by phone call or chat with the contact information listed below so we can further discuss your plans on running away.

      NRS want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please contact our 24/7 crisis support line either by phone or chat.

      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).

      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

      We hope to hear from you soon.

      Be safe,


      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

      National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      Tell us what you think about your experience!


      • I would like to run away without any one knowing


        • ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you are wanting to run away and not wanting anyone to know about it. It is important when planning on running away, to make sure that you would have a safe place to stay and that you would be able to take care of yourself. We are here to help and support as best as we can, so if you would like to talk more about why you are wanting to leave or some possible options to help, please either call our hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat us online at We hope to hear from you soon.
          Be safe,
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp