Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan 16 year old wants out of parents house.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 17 and I want to move out cause parents are drunks. What do Ido?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 01-24-2019, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Reply: I'm 17 and i want to move out

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you are frustrated with living at home with your parent’s because of some issues with their drinking. We would like to be of assistance to you if we can. Reaching out to NRS was very good on your part. Good job.
      Sometimes having a place to vent and explore some options can be helpful. Maybe their is a family member or friend that might offer some support.
      We want you to know that we are here to listen and act as support to help you through this difficult time.
      We can best help by phone or chat so that we might learn a little more about your situation and possibly help you come up with a plan on how you might be able to make some change. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
      Last edited by ccsmod4; 01-24-2019, 02:09 AM.
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

At 16 could I leave home legally without parental consent or being emancipated if I'm not being put in any danger?

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thanks for reaching out to National Ruanway Safeline. We aren’t legal experts, but we have general knowledge about running away. In most states, running away isn’t illegal, but what is called a status offense. You can’t get arrested for it but it will mostly likely go on your record until you are 18. The police will only know if you have runaway if your parents/guardians file a police report. We can’t say for sure how the police will respond, but we hear a lot that police will take potential places you might be and will actively search for you. If they come across you, the most likely will return you home to your parents. In Michigan at age 17, that is when police don't have the responsibility to force you to go back home, unless there are major risk facts for you to return home or be taken into custody. Sometimes we hear that if you are staying with someone who knows you are a runaway and are not actively trying to return you or finding shelter for you, your guardians/or police can press charges against the people who are housing you, with something that is called harboring. One of our main goals is to make sure you are safe, so if you ever seriously decide to run away and need shelter, resources, or a safe place to go you can find safe locations at nationalsafeplace.org or reach out to us directly and we can find local resources in your area.

We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our hotline ( 1-800-RUNAWAY) and chat are open 24/7.

I’m 16 and my parents got there rights taken away. My grandpa has adopted me but I live with my aunt she has guardian ship of me and I hate it here she’s very mean she’s mentally abusive my grandpa moved to Tennessee and I’m in Michigan stuck with my aunt bad things go on here and I don’t want to b here I get a check every month for being adopted I’m basically a check for my aunt and I want to leave I’ve herd the police won’t take me home now that I’m 16 in Michigan. Can I be emancipated in this situation I just don’t know what to do I’m ready to hurt myself or run away I can’t take it anymore!

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
          While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. It also sounds like you are interested in emancipation. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court.
          We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
          Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
          Be safe,
          NRS

Is it legal for me to move out of my mothers house and get an apartment with my bestfriend in a different state I live in Michigan and I’m 16

Comment

• ccsmod1
          ccsmod1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what's going on. We aren't legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you are under 18 you cannot live away from your guardian without prior parental approval. If you do opt to leave your home your mother can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your mother.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
          NRS

I live at my mom’s and dad’s week on and week off I’m 16 and I live in Michigan and if I wanted to leave my dad’s house to my mom’s house without consent could I do that without getting in trouble?

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for contacting National Runaway Safeline, we are here 24/7 to support and empower you however we can. Although we are not legal experts, we can talk to you a little bit about some things that may happen if you leave your Dad’s house to go to your mom’s house. The answer to your question depends on who your legal guardian is. If your Dad is your legal guardian and your Mom is not, if you were to leave his house without his consent although you wouldn’t get in any trouble your Mom could possibly be charged with harboring a runaway. Under Michigan Law It is a crime for any person to knowingly and willfully conceal or harbor a runaway child who has run from his or her parents, guardian, or the custody of the court. By leaving your dad’ s house without his consent he could also file a Runaway report which would mean that law enforcement would be required to take you back to your dad’s house if they found you. If both your mom and Dad share custody it would depend on the legal agreement they worked out in court about custody. To find more information on that you can always talk to your local law enforcement or court house. Again, we are really glad that you reached out and are trying to figure out your options. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please feel free to call us at any time or use our chat service. We are non-judgmental, confidential, and are here 24/7 to listen or help.

Both parents are my legal guardians and what if it was the same situation but I was 17?

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to us again. We could talk a little bit more about your situation through our chat platform or by giving us a call. But most likely it would be the same if you were 17 as well. Best of luck!
          NRS

And where is the text platform?

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          If you look on our website there is an option to chat, you would click on that and someone from our staff can help you
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X