Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan 16 year old wants out of parents house.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan 16 year old wants out of parents house.

I live in Michigan, and I am 16 years old. I understand that I can not move out at 16. But can I move out at 17? Or am I still
    or am I still considered a minor? I can't wait until i'm 18. I want to leave now.
    Last edited by ccsmod3; 05-11-2018, 07:07 PM.

RE: Michigan 16 year old wants out of parents house.

Thank you for sharing. It sounds like you feel like you are ready to move out. We are here to listen and support you however we can. We are not legal experts, so we can give you some general information about the law, but we can’t speak to what exactly would happen in Michigan. Since you are under the age of 18, if you leave home you could be considered a runaway. This means that your parent or legal guardian could call the police, who might force you to return home. Running away is not a crime, however anyone who allows you to stay with them could risk criminal charges for harboring a runaway.
    We are not legal experts. Laws are different from state to state, county to county, city to city. In some areas, police might not take a runaway report for youth who are close to turning 18, or they might take a report but not force a youth to return home. How a local police department responds to the situation can vary drastically. A good way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are. You can also call us if you want to ask questions and talk about your options. We are hoping to hear from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

You can at 17

There is a loophole in the law in Michigan. This loophole involves runaway vs missing person. At 17, you cannot be classified as either. This means you can leave your parents home and no one can or will do anything about it.

Comment

RE: You can at 17

Thank you for reaching out to share your input. We are not legal experts here, however we can say that anyone can be declared a missing person at any age. In general, 18 is the age at which a youth cam move out without permission from a legal guardian. We would still encourage anyone in Michigan to reach out to their local law enforcement agency to be sure before deciding to leave at 17, as the police response can vary even depending on what county you are in. Thanks!
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

[email protected]g (Crisis Email)

Comment

Hi ! I'm 16 years old, I've been ready to move out since I was 14 years old. My dad used to be physically abusive and verbally but now he's just verbally abusive. My parents have a horrible relationship and I have a great one with my boyfriend, but they look for any reason to ground me and not let me do anything along with telling me that I'm a screw up. They get me so stressed out I can't even breathe please tell me I can legally move out at 17 AND how to do so

Comment

• ccsmod6
            ccsmod6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for contacting NRS, we are glad you reached out. It seems you are really in a tough situation, we are sorry to hear that. We are not legal experts so we do not know the legal age to move out in your state. However, most states's legal age is 18. If you are experienceing abuse, you can reach out to the police and school counsellor and inform them about the abuse, they might be able to help you. Also, if you want to move out, do you have a plan on how you will manage away from your home, such as having income source, place to stay, etc? Unfortunately, we cannot tell you how to move out, that is something you search for on your own. With that being said, we can offer some resources that might help you in your transition such as shelters, counsellors, or community service places. If you want to have some of those resources, please do not hesitate in contacting us on 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us on 1800runaway.org

Can a mother at 16 years old and is a
          mother of 2 year boy can she moved out her dad's house with her son

Comment

• ccsmod10
            ccsmod10 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It’s great that you were able to find out some information about our hotline. Hopefully we can help.

Legally you are a minor, and under your guardian’s supervision, until you are 18 or are emancipated by a court of law. If you decide to leave home before then your guardians could file a runaway report on you. Running away is not a crime, but it is a status offense. This means the police could detain you until they release you to the care of your guardians. We also have legal aid resources in our database. While we’re not law experts, we can try to find one in your area, there may be legal ways for you to be able to move out of your house. We’re here to try to brainstorm options with you.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center, or use our chatting services via our website. However, the chatting service is not open 24/7. So the best way to tell us everything would be to just call into our hotline and talk to one of our trained liners.

Be safe, NRS

Here is my situation. I'm a 15 year-old old male In the state of Michigan and I'm turning 16 here very soon. My parents are split and I have had a lot of abusive coming from the mothers side. I would go through any process to be relieved of all the drama and live with a roommate. I want to know if there is a way to work around some things to have the law on my side to the point I could live my own life. It would be in the year 2019, but I can legally drive and hold a job. Is there any possible way I could move out by the age of 16? Or at least out of my mothers custody?

Comment

• ccsmod3
            ccsmod3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and especially in a time where you have a really tough and complex situation at home. We are sorry you are experiencing abuse, no one ever deserves to go through that. You do have the right to report the abuse to Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. You can either do it yourself or call into us directly and we can support you through it. It is hard to say the result of reporting, but if you call in you can ask what the process might look like.

If you get your mother’s permission to move out, then there is less of a chance of legal consequences. We would encourage finding a way to document it, as parents sometimes change their mind once they give permission. Another thing that you can do is look into emancipation, where you can have the right of an adult. It sounds like you are interested in emancipation. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.
            We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY we are open 24/7.

-NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

I am 14 and live in Michigan am i want to move out like asp my mom and step dad fight all the time and my step dad has a drinking problem me and him dont get alone have well his family dosent really like me i feel like I take care of my step sister and step brother more then my mom and step dad dose my step dad beats on my mom i just really want to get out of this hell hole
          ​​​​

Comment

• ccsmod10
            ccsmod10 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on at home. Your feelings are so valid, we don’t believe that you deserve the way you’ve been treated. It sounds like home can be a very scary place for you at times.

If you feel like getting out of the house is the best option and you decide to runaway, we can explain what usually happens. We’re not legal experts, but from our general knowledge, running away is not illegal. If you runaway, your mom can make a runaway report. The police don't always actively look for you, if they come across you, then they usually bring you home. If you explain to them that home isn't a safe place to be, they don't always return you right away. They're supposed to investigate it first. We offer to call out to youths local police, with youth, to find out their protocols and what happens if runaways refuse to go home. So that option is always available as well. We can also help find runaway/youth shelters in your area, so you can stay safe.Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with someone you trust, as far as transferring custody.

We hope our response is helpful. Also, talking to school counselors and teachers about what’s going on at home could provide you with great support. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center, or use our chatting services via our website. However, the chatting service is not open 24/7. So the best way to tell us everything would be to just call into our hotline and talk to one of our trained liners.

Be safe, NRS

i'm turning 16 soon and i would like to move to my aunts house. i want to spend the last 2 years of my life in a christian home. can i move out?

Comment

• ccsmod0
            ccsmod0 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello,
            Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you would like to spend the next two years in a faith based household. It is understandable that you would want to love with people with similar views. To our knowledge the easiest way to be able to leave your guardians house is to have their permission. Other options could include emancipation or Child Protective Services removing parental rights. Either way it is more of a process. If you would like to talk more about any of these idea please feel free to give us a call anytime. 1-800-786-2929

Hi I’m 16 and my mom and I are constantly arguing. Every time we talk she take something away from me. She’s taking my job my friends and moving me schools. I want to leave but I know that if she calls the police and they send me home things for me will get much worse ?? What do I do..

Comment

• ccsmod9
            ccsmod9 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for reaching out to us at National Runaway Safeline! We appreciate the courage it takes to reach out and seek help. We hope to listen and help in any way we can.

From what we can gather about your story it seems like your mom has not been really willing to hear you out and has made drastic choices to your environment to the point that you no longer want to be there. That can be hard to go through and seems like you have reached a point where it is not a place you want to be at anymore. Unfortunately we cannot tell you what to do, we can only give you the options you have and from there you can decide what is best and safest for you. We would like to point out we are not legal experts but from what we can gather because you are 16 you are a minor and therefore your mom would be able to file a runaway report. All this means is that if you were to run into the police they would take you back to your mom’s residence. Some options available to you are that perhaps you could set up a conference call with us at our crisis line (1-800-RUNAWAY) where you and your mom could perhaps talk about what is happening and see if there is any solution you both could come to. If you do happen to runaway you can contact us as well for shelters, food pantries, etc. There are other organizations like the nationalsafeplace.org you could reach out to as well. They would also be able to help with those similar issues. If at any time you fear for your safety know you can call the Police or tell a school official etc.

Again we want to thank you for seeking us out. We want you to know that you can contact us anytime 24/7 if you have any other questions or concerns. Our phone number again is 1-800-RUNAWAY or feel free to reach us on our chat option online www.1800runaway.org. We hope that you can find a solution to your current dilemma.
            Best Wishes-NRS

My granddaughter has been expressing to me she has suisital thoughts because of emotional abuse from mom and dad in the home. She wants out . I feel helpless
          I know the parents will not approve of her moving out even with a relative till she is 18
          she has talked with school councilors and they told her to suck it up and ride it out. Oh my gosh what kind of help was that .
          please can u give me some advice?
          I know this is not legal advice but
          I need to have a answer for her
          the parents won’t listen to her she has tried for a long time years to let them know her heart .
          This isn’t a good situation at all .

Comment

• ccsmod3
            ccsmod3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS and sharing your granddaughter’s story with us. We are sorry to hear about your situation and what your granddaughter been dealing with. Ideally, home would be a place where people feel safe, loved, and valued, and she does not deserve to be treated that way. You’ve been very courageous to reach out for help and thank you for advocating on behalf of your granddaughter.
            We understand that that trauma can be difficult to work through and that reporting may not be an option your granddaughter is comfortable with. However, she does deserve to live in a safe place, and if she wanted to talk more about child abuse reporting or wanted support, Child Help (National Child Abuse Hotline) could be a resource for learning what reporting would look like. They are accessible by phone at 1-800-422-4453 and online at childhelp.org.
            You also mentioned that she was having some thoughts of suicide. We hope she knows that her life has value and that she matters. If she felt like she needed to reach out, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available through 1-800-273-8255 online at suicidepreventionlifeline.org. If she were in immediate danger, 9-1-1 is also an option for her. We are sorry to hear that people have not been treating her concerns with the severity they deserve. If she wanted to look for mental health resources, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration by phone 1-877-726-4727 and online at samhsa.gov could be another option available.

If you would like to talk about other resources and support, feel free to call our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or use our Live Chat.
            We hope this information was helpful and take care.

I am 15 and I have a very toxic relationship with my parent and I would like to move out ASAP mostly because of mental abuse and I fear physical soon how can I move out with out being Emancipated
          Last edited by ccsmod4; 12-12-2018, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Reply: I am 15 and I have a very toxic relationship

Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parent’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parent’s.
            Another way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern.
            If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
            You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this.
            We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
            If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in.
            We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,
            NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Comment

My grandson wants to move out of his mothers house and live with his dad. He is tired of cleaning house and babysitting and not having any time for himself. How old does he have to be to have that choice? I know they use to have that choice at 13.

Comment

• ccsmod7
                ccsmod7 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi, that’s a great question, thanks for reaching out to us today.

We’re not legal experts here, and things tend to be a bit more complicated when custody is involved. Typically, the judge in the custody case will be the one to make decisions over custody disputes. Unfortunately, at 13, a child isn’t really given a lot of legal rights, and since the parents are within their rights to assign chores and babysitting, it’s very possible that a judge would not opt to change their current living situation. There are a lot of helpful articles online about the specifics of the law from state to state. If you feel comfortable, you could try to use a search engine and search something like, “age children can decide who to live with” to find out more information for your state.

With that all being said, if we know more of the particulars of the situation, it is possible that there are other options for the youth. If you or the child feels comfortable reaching out to us by phone or chat, we could talk more about the situation and look for other options or resources. We’re available 24/7 at 1-800-Runaway and we’re here to listen.

I’m 16 years old and I turn 17 in 6 months I’m getting a job at Walmart and I go to school and take dmacc nursing aid classes. I don’t want to live with my parents anymore because they don’t let me have my privacy. They won’t let me go out with friends at all no matter the consequences. My parents are always fighting and expressing their feelings on me. I’ve recently had a family member pass away and my mom has greatly been affected by it. I try and comfort her but all she does is lashes out on me and yell at me for things that don’t need to be addressed in that manner. They don’t trust me because i lie to them about where I’m going. I don’t do it to disappoint them in anyway shape or for. They don’t let me have guy friends or anything because they think I’ll throw myself on them. They try to control me all the time. My mom also has people stalking me and watching who i talk to or what i do at school and who i associate with me. I have depression and anxiety and I try to talk to them but they never listen to me. It’s like they only care about my safety but not me as a person. I live in Iowa is there anyway I could possibly move out or live with someone else. I’m a junior in high school by the way.

Comment

• ccsmod3
                ccsmod3 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit about what is going. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and especially in a time where you have a really tough and complex situation at home with your parents. It can be difficult to know how to talk to your parents and express your feelings about how you are feeling. We would encourage you to reach out to a trusted adult, teacher, relative, and friend that you can talk to and potentially help you mediate a conversation with your parents about your current situation. At NRS, we do offer a service call conference calling, where you can call into our hotline and then we would reach out to your guardian and help advocate for you, help you express the needs you have to your parents.

You mentioned experiencing depression and anxiety. Your mental health is important. You can find resources at SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) at samhsa.gov (call them directly at 1-877-726-4727) or NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness 1-800-950-NAMI to help you find the support that you need. If you do ever feel in direct danger, to yourself, or some else makes you feel that way, please call out to 911 or reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255).

To be able to move out legally, the only way to do that is to get permission from your parents. If that isn’t an option, we aren’t legal experts, but we have general knowledge about running away. In most states, running away isn’t illegal, but what is called a status offense. You can’t get arrested for it but it will mostly likely go on your record until you are 18. The police will only know if you have runaway if your parents/guardians file a police report. We can’t say for sure how the police will respond, but we hear a lot that police will take potential places you might be and will actively search for you. If they come across you, the most likely will return you home to your parents. Sometimes we hear that if you are staying with someone who knows you are a runaway and are not actively trying to return you or finding shelter for you, your guardians/or police can press charges against the people who are housing you, with something that is called harboring. One of our main goals is to make sure you are safe, so if you ever seriously decide to run away and need shelter, resources, or a safe place to go you can find safe locations at nationalsafeplace.org or reach out to us directly and we can find local resources in your area.

We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our hotline ( 1-800-RUNAWAY) and chat are open 24/7.

-NRS
            Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X