Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

18, is it illegal for me to leave my house like this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18, is it illegal for me to leave my house like this?

I turned 18 years old on Apri 22, my whole life has been pretty difficult bc my parents are probably the most strict people I have ever seen in my life.
    I am 18 and I still have no phone, I cant hang out w / my friends, I cant go anywhere unless its school. Overall, I cant do much living under my parents room.
    On may 21, I lied to my mom saying I would be going out with a friend and her parents to Kemah, but really I was going to prom. The plan didnt work out bc she
    ended up finding out what I was up to. I have never drank in my life but I drank prom night, worst decision ever. Log story short the school called my mom and
    I had to go home, I am also suspended for 3 days and might have to attend a 45 day class during the summer. The reason I want to leave my house is not bc I want
    To be able to live life the way I want to, but bc I do this all the time, I always dissapoint my parents and I always put everyone through so much pain. When
    my father found out, he told me that if I ever wanted to leave the house I could leave and he would never let me back in. Although, he told me to tell him
    before I leave so that he can shut the door behind me for good. My plan is to leave with out telling him because I am scared it will cause a scene and I dont
    Wanna worry my siblings, or have them see any of that happen. I will leave a note on my bed so that they understand why I left. I have already packed my bags
    And I have a place to stay. I'm looking for jobs so that when school starts I can get a place to stay. I will be attending a community college. I just dont know
    even after doing lots of resource if this is legal. I also dont know what would happen after I would leave. Please help me out and explain as much as possible!

Re: 18, is it illegal for me to leave my house like this?

Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We’re sorry to hear that you are going through such a tough time. It must be really frustrating to feel like you don’t have any freedom or independence.
    In most states, you are considered an adult when you are 18. That means that you do not need to have your parents’ permission to live on your own. However, in a few states, the age of majority (when you are a legal adult) is older. It might be 19, or in some cases, even older. Your legal rights depend on where you live.
    It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into moving out. You have somewhere to stay, but remember that there are lots of other things to consider. For example, you might want to think about transportation and cost of food. Also, is where you are staying a long term solution?
    It sounds like you also have some concerns about your future relationship with your family. Have you thought of ways that you would try to maintain a relationship once you move? Maybe you could think of some alternative ways of communication.
    It’s great that you are planning to go to college. It sounds like you are putting a lot of thought into your future plans, which is great. If you want to talk through some options and ideas, we’d be happy to listen. You can reach us here at 1800Runaway 24/7.
    Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X