No announcement yet.

17 in one month and want to move out

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 in one month and want to move out

    I turn 17 in about a month and my home situation isn't the best, it never has been. I recently moved in with my mom about 7 years ago, she has been mentally physically and emotionally abusive toward me for over a decade and has past with alcohol and drug abuse. She says I'm allowed to move out and cant wait for me to leave but when I go anywhere (even to stores around the corner) she calls the police on me. I have other places that I could go but since I'm only 17 I'm worried that I'll get arrested or the people I stay with will be.

  • #2
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      i kinda have the same problem going on in my house.. im 15 turning 16 in October .. the last time i went home my dad beat me and my mom just watched .. everything my dad does my mom listens to him and is on his side even if hes in the wrong because deep down ik for sure shes scared of him.. well i left about 5 months ago still never went back because im not planning on going back my mom went recently to court for me to drop cases on me with my drunk nana .. my mom keeps saying its all me and im ruining it for everyone, and im crazy . when i was back home my mom found out i was looking up emancipation and she told me straight up "your not doing that im not letting you do that '.. but i want to do it because they dont give me freedom my mom works and my dad sits on his ass all day and gets high while i had to watch my baby brother.. my dad doesn't do anything for us really idk whens the last time he took me shopping or the last time we did a dad and daughter day .. i don't ever ask for much but if he was to do something and if we was to get into a argument he would throw it in my face.. also saying im dirty , i got around ********ing guys and all types of things nobody wants their father to say to them .. i like girls i never told them because they would start talking about me .. not living with them i been doing good .. like really good i stared a wag job i make my own bread and all but basically what im trynna ask is.. When im 16 would the case be closed about me being on the run be closed? because my cousin told me they went to court weeks back and the judge said since im turning 16 they're gonna leave it as im a adult and im on my own.. so in august my mom and nana go back to court


      • ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there, thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you are in a really tough situation right now and are wanting some information on the laws around your parents wanting you to return home.
        We are not legal experts, but generally, 18 is the legal age in most states. Leaving before that, you can be filed as a runaway, which it sounds like your parents have done. Generally, you remain listed as a runaway until you reach legal age (18 in most states). There are some other options to leave home legally, such as getting child protection services involved or emancipation. Emancipation laws vary in every state, and even though we are not legal experts, we do have some general info on emancipation in each state and some legal resources for you to reach out to locally. If you are interested in that, call or live chat with us so we can find what the guidelines are in your state. We are here 24/7 through chat at the top of the website and at 1-800-786-2929.

        You also mentioned being beaten by your dad. We are sorry you experienced this abuse and want to say you certainly do not deserve any type of abuse! Child Help (1-800-422-4453, is the national child abuse hotline and can help you talk more about the abuse, report or get custody transferred to a safe adult. We can also help you make an abuse report if that is something you want to do. The choice is entirely yours. We never ask for your name so you can choose to call or chat anonymously without a report being filed.

        You have shown a lot of strength in reaching out today and we are here to support you no matter what decisions you make! Feel free to call or chat to get more information and specific resources.

        Best of luck,
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove