Can I move out when I am seventeen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I move out when I am seventeen?

I am currently 17 years old and I was wondering if I could move out. I can't live my family anymore, it's getting to stressful and harmful to me. Every single day my parents have to find a reason to yell or scold me, even if I have done nothing wrong. The most recent was my mother telling at me for spending 5$ on some food, and I didn't have any cash so I transferred some money over to pay for it. She went off pulling me aside and telling me that I am wasteful and why I was transferring money over, she was livid that I even bought food. My father is no better he gets angry too easily. I said a curse word once and he got so angry he got in my face, cursing me out, and he even raised his hand like he was going to hit me. I can't say anything about how I am feeling, because they brush it off as attention seeking, and self victimization. I have literally thought of suicide. It's gotten worse since my brother left the house, but he got the worse of it, my parents have screamed at him, hit him, and my dad even slammed his head against the wall and kicked him out, for what reason he came home late from work. Ever since he left they turned their focus on me, and made my life harder. I don't know if I can do this anymore, I am senior in high school, I have a job at sonic and get good hours and pay. I need to leave please can you give me some advice.

Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us your story. It sounds like you are going through a very difficult time right now and we hope to be able to help you. We’re also sorry to hear that your parents are taking a lot out on you and it has made you think of suicide in the past. Your life is very important. If you begin having those thoughts again and want to talk with someone anonymously, please don’t hesitate to reach out for help. One resource that might work for you is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. You can reach them at 1-800-273-8255. They also have an internet chat function through their website at suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

We want you to know that no one deserves feel unsafe at home, and you should not have to go through that. If you haven’t already, you could consider reporting the abuse you’ve been experiencing. If you want more information about abuse reporting or if you want to file a report, you could call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453.

Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway. Some police departments don’t accept runaway reports for 17 year olds, but the policies may vary by each department. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

If you don’t feel safe and feel like you need to get away Nationalsafeplace.org provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 44357 the word “safe,” and your location to find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member.

It can be difficult to manage situations like this and you don’t have to do it alone. One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your parents how you have been feeling and how it is effecting you mentally and physically. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you. If you want to reach us, you can chat with us anytime at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7, and we are ready to listen and help however we can.

Stay strong,

-NRS.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X