No announcement yet.

Family doesn’t want me really scared

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Family doesn’t want me really scared

    Sorry, I don’t know how to use this or how to post something so I just pressed post reply. I’m in a very hard situation at the moment. When I was 10 years old, I was sexually abused by my step father repeatedly and i kept shut for 6 years. I finally told my mom about 6 months ago and she sent me away to live with my aunt. I just found out that my mom sent me away because she didn’t believe me and she thinks I’m inventing things up. Everyone else my family also thinks I’m lying. This really bothered me and made me feel so bad because I’m not lying. I finally spoke up two days ago because my mom bought me a plane ticket to go live with her and my step dad but I don’t want to. My grandma. Aunt and basically my whole family was calling me a liar so I got really angry and started screaming and breaking things and I got kicked out of my aunts place. I’ve been staying at a friends and I’m planning to get a job to support myself but I was wondering if what would happen if I tried to get an emancipation? Would the court Involve child services because that’s exactly what I don’t want. I don’t want problems with the law I just don’t want anything to do with my family. I’m scared that if I try to get an emancipation, they will go full investigation mode and find no evidence of me getting molested since it happened so long ago and force me to stay with my family. My family kicked me out and want nothing to do with me. I want to know if I should get an emancipation or will that cause too many problems and I should just stay at my friends and pay rent to her until I turn 18 which will be in 1 year and three months.

  • #2

    Hello, and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. What you are going through sounds like a true nightmare and you are incredibly strong for making it this far. We believe you and would be happy to help or support you in any way that we can.

    With regards to getting an emancipation, we are not legal experts but we can point you in the direction of a youth advocate group or law firm that may be able to give you precise information on how to go about doing that. Typically, the youth must be able to prove to a judge they can support themselves financially, they are in school or employment, they have a place to stay, and understand the consequences of emancipation. Unfortunately, we are not sure whether or not child protective services would get involved but that would be a good question to ask the legal experts. We do know that the process can go a lot faster and a lot smoother if you have your parents’ permission. We also understand that talking to them or engaging them right now might not be something you are able to do. However, if your family is not interested in taking care of you, they might be willing to agree to emancipate you. We would recommend that you call out to the county court or a legal expert and ask them your questions about the process before asking your parents about any of this.

    If you would like a legal referral or if you would like to explore what other options there may be, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at

    Take care,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp