Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Abused, kicked out, then immobilized...?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abused, kicked out, then immobilized...?

I’m 16. My parents abused me a LOT and we’ve had multiple dcfs cases opened and closed. I’ve been kicked out MULTIPLE times, because my mother and I fight a lot(no physical aggression on my end). Here’s the thing. My family is super religious and I’m atheist. However, they’ve kicked me out more and more recently. I called dcfs and she(my new caseworker) said something about them not legally being able to kick me out and cancel my license cuz it’s like, obstruction of welfare or something. I need to know the real answer. So, I was kicked out(then we later agreed on me staying a certain place), so it’s TECHNICALLY not a “lock out” situation, which makes it SO much more difficult to deal with. My mother SAID that she cancelled my license(keep in mind she’s a pathological liar), the case worker said that they legally can’t since I’m kicked out. I just spent a BUNCH of money to get my own insurance, IN MY NAME, and they’re trying to cancel my license. They cancelled my insurance that I had(AND PAID FOR BY MYSELF), that was in their name. I don’t want to keep driving in my truck, if there’s even the SLIGHTEST possibility that I’m illegally driving my vehicle, I NEED to know. Because I’m working a full time job and genuinely just trying to live my life, I got myself out of the mental hospital and have been getting myself out of this hole and I’m even trying to go back to get my GED whenever I’m 17. (I dropped out when I got too suicidal, being at school makes EVERYTHING worse for my mental health. And I was in a DARK hole). I’m planning on going back and then continuing my full time job. I’m hoping to get my GED so a judge will at least CONSIDER emancipating me. But right now I need to know if I’m illegally driving.

Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what's going on - we know that it takes a lot of courage to do so. We aren't legal experts but generally speaking, your caseworker is correct that your parents cannot kick you out of the house as that is often considered neglect. To our knowledge, an individuals drivers license would be rendered invalid due to numerous traffic violations or driving under the influence - this would be done by the police/justice system. Laws regarding licensing can vary from state to state and if may be best to contact your local Department of Motor Vehicles for information specific to your state.

You also mentioned that you have previously been suicidal, we care a lot about your safety, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time. If you’d like some additional support, an organization that may be helpful is the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). You can contact them by calling 1-800-950-NAMI or you can text them by sending NAMI to 741741.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X